MacBook 1st Gen Aluminum corrosion

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by smitha96, Mar 20, 2010.

1. smitha96 macrumors regular

Hi, I have a 13" MacBook 1st Gen aluminum enclosure (fall 2008) with replacable bettery. I took it to the Apple store after water was spilled on it. They advised there was corrosion to the display connector (display was not lighting up) and the logic board and recommended replacing both for $750, free labor because under warranty.

Here's my questions:
    1) Are the repairs a fair price (2.4ghz logic board, 13" display)
    2) Can I do the repairs myself and save money by buying the parts elsewhere? My hardware computer experience is limited to upgrading hard drives and ram on desktops.)
    3) Should I instead get a new white Macbook? We use this for playing videos on the TV, email, writing and internet. My only complaint with the current MacBook was the battery life ~2.5 hours.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

1) The parts itself combined is generally over $1000 so 750 isn't that bad for those two repairs.

2) You can definitely find parts elsewhere but you have to 1) trust that the logic board is working and there isn't any other flaw and 2) have to be comfortable taking apart computers, which goes further than replacing RAM and a HDD. Tutorials should help though.

3) Getting a new MacBook would be a good option. A new MacBook could be had close to the repair price and you would be getting a newer computer. Check the refurb site.

3. vistadude macrumors 65816

It's not worth it to pay $750 for repairs. Might as well a new macbook, or another laptop. The new macbook has a little bit better battery life.

4. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

Indeed new Mac Book
    - unless you MUST have the separate In/Out audio ports!

Still - part out your existing MB ALu Unibody and keep the HDD yourself of course.

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

If you've got a Micro Center near you, they currently have the white unibody Macbook for $799.99 and the base aluminum MacBook Pro for $999.99. IMHO, I think that either would be a better use of $750 than repairing your current MacBook.

6. smitha96 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. Picked one up at Micro Center today. Can't beat 20% off.