Macbook 2.0+4GB or 2.4+2GB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ononimus, Oct 16, 2008.

1. ononimus macrumors newbie

Hi everyone! I am up to buy a new Macbook and have some doubts about which model should I choose. I mainly use SPSS (statistical package) and also Paralels to run windows xp and NVivo (qualitative analysis software).
    Should I go for the 2.0GHz and upgrade it up to 4GB ram or get the 2.4GHz with 2 GB? Is the 400 Mhz difference worth enough for me in order to pay 200 euros more? I don't think I need the backlit keyboard, though it is an extra...
    Thank you very much for your help!

2. LDB macrumors member

LDB

If I understand correctly you can never upgrade the cpu but most anyone can upgrade the ram. For serious sounding apps like your statistical processing etc. I'd think go with the faster cpu and save up for a couple months to buy a ram upgrade. Good luck.

3. neifichicken macrumors newbie

I'm in a similar dilemma, what is the smarter by, 2.4 Ghz or 4 GB of RAM?

4. FrenchPB macrumors 6502

My gf is a casual user (iLife, Internet, Office and stuffs like that)... so for her I took the 2Ghz model, with 2Go RAM (that we will upgrade to 4 in a little while) so that she'd be set for 4-5 years to come... I can't envision her seeing any benefit from the .4Ghz difference on such apps, but the RAM will help tremendously...

5. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

Just save up a few more bucks and order the 2.4 with 4GB. Even if it takes a week or two, you'll be happier over the life of the machine.

6. neifichicken macrumors newbie

What kind of difference is there from 2.0 Ghz to 2.4 Ghz? How big of a difference is this???

7. jojo13 macrumors 6502

jojo13

theres almost no difference,
    a normal user wouldn't even notice it. For example, if I take a 2,0Ghz and a 2,4Ghz and give it to someone without telling wich one is what, they could hardly, very hardly notice the difference.

This is why I'd go for the 2,0Ghz and 4Gb ram and a bigger hard drive for the same amount. Now, if you need a faster Cpu because you are using big programs like final cut, save money and get the 2,4Ghz if not he pro.

cheers,:D

8. brguitarist macrumors member

I would go for the 2.4 GHz. Like someone said before, you can't upgrade the CPU (well, at least easily) and RAM will definitely be getting significantly cheaper over the next few months. 2GB should hold you up in the meantime.