Macbook 2.0 processor for future Leopard or uprgrade to 2.16?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by WaarrEagle, Jul 10, 2007.

1. WaarrEagle macrumors newbie

I am about to buy a Macbook for my sister and was wondering if we should upgrade to the 2.16 processor in anticipation of Leopard coming out. Will Leopard need more processing power or would the 2.0 be enough. She is not in any kind of design/art major so I know the 2.0 would be fine otherwise. I was going to upgrade to 2 GB of RAM regardless. Thanks!

2. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

The difference between 2.0 and 2.16 is .16 Ghz.. That is very minimal... Don't spend 200$ just to upgrade .16ghz, Leopard will support 2.0ghz...

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

Only get the upgrade if you want the superdrive and the 50% larger hard drive. After that, just think of the extra .16ghz as a bonus. It won't make a noticeable difference in performance. If you need better performance for the money, just get 2GB of RAM with the low-end macbook.

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

you're looking at the 0.16 ghz as simply 0.16. it's still 160 mhz, which is 160 million hertz. 160 million of something has to be a lot, no? ;) i'm just messing. 160 mhz, though not insignificant, isn't enough to justify the purchase of a higher end macbook over a lower end model. the real advantage to upgrading is the super drive and the higher capactiy hard drive, which would come in handy for a lot of people, possibly even your sister. ask her if she needs these things and decide accordingly.

5. WaarrEagle thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice everyone - I just ordered the 2.0 and iIm sure she will love it!

6. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

Ooops...

I thought Macbooks had an option to upgrade the processor from 2 to 2.16 like the iMac.. Sorry for the mistake...

Please don't listen to me... Jesus... Just go w/ the Blackbook or the middle MacBook. The difference is huge since it's either the Combo drive or the superdrive. That makes all the difference in the world of today and tomorrow.