MacBook - 2.0 vs 2.4

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by apcpa2000, May 4, 2009.

1. apcpa2000 macrumors member

apcpa2000

So I am going to be pulling the trigger any minute now on a refurbished MacBook for my wife. We currently have a 24" iMac at home so this machine will be secondary. My question is this:

The 2.4ghz is $200 more and comes with a 250gb (vs 160 gb) hardrive and the illumindate keyboard.

Honest opinions, are those two things plus the speed bump of 0.4 ghz enough to warrant the additional $200 cost.

The money doesn't matter to much either way, I just don't want to be throwing it away.

Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What does your wife use it for? I'm going to hazard a guess and say music, e-mail, iPhoto, and the internet. If that's the case I wouldn't bother spending the extra $200 just for the hard drive (which you can upgrade yourself for half the price) and illuminated keyboard.

3. apcpa2000 thread starter macrumors member

apcpa2000

You pretty much right. She will us word to do some writing. But other than that its interenet and iTunes (music and video watching).

4. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

5. arnette macrumors 6502

arnette

If you get the 2.4Ghz, don't buy it for the speed bump. Buy it for the larger hard drive or the illuminated keyboard.

Personally, I'd want the bigger HD but it depends how many photos/movies/music you have. For me, it would be cheaper to get the bigger HD than to upgrade later (hard drive cost, me trying to image the new drive for the first time ever, etc.)

6. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

The CPU is non-upgradable, except a change of the whole logic board.

The HDD is easily upgradable & it is cheap to get a huge capacity (up to 500GB) & faster speed (7,200rpm) drive these days. All you need to do is to install OS X using the supplied discs & use time machine to restore your files & you're done.

7. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Well if the money doesn't matter much, then go for it. Bigger disk and illuminated keyboard was worth it to me.

8. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

Honestly, if she's just sticking to the basic stuff, she'll never use or appreciate the extra 400mhz. If you have the extra cash, and will appreciate the illuminated keyboard, then go with the 2.4. It'll have a better resale value, too.

I'd personally just go with the 2GHz and maxing out the RAM & HDD. A 4GB RAM and 500GB HDD upgrade will cost you about as much as the extra cost to 2.4.

9. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Yes, it is true that the 2.4GHz will have better resale value but it also costs more than the 2.0GHz in the first place. And so this resale value will "even out" IMO.

10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

The ram and 7200 hard drive will make a world of difference in the 2.0 compared to a stock 2.4. It would be the most efficient bang for your proverbial buck.

11. aleni macrumors 68020

the backlit keyboard is the key for me. get the 2.4ghz..

12. apcpa2000 thread starter macrumors member

apcpa2000

So I decided on the 2.0. We won't be doing that much typing in the dark, and I took the suggestions that I could buy some RAM, and if needed a bigger harddrive down the road.

Thanks for everyones comments.

13. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I agree about the lighted keyboard. Might as well enjoy your computer when the difference in price is small.
    You'll wish you had gotten the 2.4 later.