MacBook 2.0ghz vs. 2.16ghz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by marekkurlmann, May 23, 2007.

1. marekkurlmann macrumors regular

I'm finalizing my purchase plans for a new MacBook. Will be using it primarily for Web design - i.e. Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and other Adobe CS3 programs.

Is it worth it to go for the 2.16ghz processor? What difference in performance will I see?

Thanks for the advice!

2. Queso macrumors G4

Hardly anything. You'd be better off spending the difference on maxing out the RAM and a 160GB HD for what you'll be using it for.

3. Evangelion macrumors 68040

The processor is slightly faster. The faster processor alone is not worth the extra money. But it also has bigger HD and DVD-burner. Do you need those?

4. marekkurlmann thread starter macrumors regular

I forgot to mention I'll also be using the MacBook to record music using Reason and ProTools. Is the 2.16ghz processor going to make any difference when used with these applications?

5. Queso macrumors G4

Not enough to justify the extra. The 2GHz C2D will cope quite happily with ProTools. Go for a bigger HD though. The standard 80GB in the 2GHz model isn't going to meet your needs. 160GB is more like it.

6. Igantius macrumors 65816

Could be cheaper buying a larger drive and installing it yourself - but yes, get a bigger drive.

7. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

+ a faster one.

8. Turkish macrumors 6502

It's not as much the difference in processor speed between the $1099 and $1299 model as it is the extras you get... so yeah, it's kind of worth it (contrary to what has been said so far).

For $200 extra, you get 40GB of additional HDD space and a DL DVD burner - keep in mind that the $1099 model can not burn DVDs.

9. danny_w macrumors 601

But for $1049 you can get a refurb Blackbook 2.0 with the same 120GB hard disk and the DVD burner (but slightly slower at 6x vs. 8x). That's what I just got and it should be here Friday.

10. Turkish macrumors 6502

That's certainly another way to go...

11. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

An option I am looking at is similar to yours. The refurbed white 2 ghz book with dvd burner and large HD is cheaper than a new 2 ghz book with cd burner. Even at educational prices the refurbed is cheaper and better equipped. The 2.16 ghz is certainly not work the higher price. If you don't need the dvd burner the refurbed books are $849 which is a great deal

12. MacSurge macrumors member

It wont make to much of a difference. However, it is a tad bit faster. I think I read somewhere its like 7% faster, but thats not much. Its not enough for anyone to rly notice it. If you have the money go for it.. if you don't stick with your choice.:)

- Regards

13. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

I just ordered a refurb Blackbook. It's much cheaper and the money you save you can get another gig of RAM. The price doesn't equal the upgrade in this case.

14. SuperDaddy macrumors member

Why do I never see any refurbed MacBooks when I check the refurb section online?? Is it sporadic, first come first served?

Am I missing something?

15. vintagetobes macrumors newbie

Yes it is first come first served.

16. danny_w macrumors 601

The status can change quite quickly. If you see one that you want you have to jump on it.

17. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

First of all marekkurimann, wait until after WWDC. The MBPs are due an update any minute now and my guess is that the 2.0Ghz model will be discontinued and the 2.16Ghz model will come down in price.

I'm expecting them to differentiate more between the MacBooks and the MacBook Pros so we might even see better display resolutions on the MBPs so that you get a significant amount of extra screen real estate between the MacBook and the base MacBook Pro. That's only a hope/hunch though. Whatever the case, the MBPs *will* get updated very soon and that will make them a *much* better buy than they are now compared to the MacBooks.

18. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

I don't know if a MPB is within his price range, otherwise, he'd probably be considering it already.

I wish I could afford one :(

19. harinezumi macrumors member

i used to use my PBG4 12" (the very first one that came out) to run Reason and it worked fairly well so 2Ghz MB will do even better.

and as most people have said so far 2.0Ghz and 2.16Ghz wont make that much difference in my opinion. But its always nice to know that you have the best MB you can buy.:p

20. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Bah, I misread his post and thought he was looking for a MBP and everyone was saying get a MB instead! Doh!

21. marekkurlmann thread starter macrumors regular

Hey Dynamyk,

My decision to go for the MB over the MBP isn't really about price. I like the small form factor of the MB. The MBPs are big - a little heavy - but more than anything, just large. The big screen is nice, but it's not so easy to tote around, whereas the MB definitely is.

I do, however, much prefer the non-glossy screen on the MBP. Nothing's perfect.

Even though price isn't my primary consideration, I do think that the MBP is overpriced vis-a-vis the MB. You're basically paying, what, a $500 premium for a graphics card, bigger screen, and cooler case? I digress...this debate's been had a thousand times on this forum.

22. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Sorry I made a wrong assumption. I ordered my Macbook on the same assumptions. My suggestion would be get the 2.0 blackbook if you like black or get the low end current gen Macbook :).

Sorry for assuming the wrong thing, that's just generally the case between Macbooks and Macbook Pros