Macbook 2,1 dim charger light, no boot

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by GodsOtherHand, Apr 16, 2015.

1. GodsOtherHand macrumors newbie

Hello.
    I have an old macbook 2,1 (late 2006). The battery is long dead, and i have been using it plugged in.(I recently got it as a browsing laptop for my parents).

Since i got it, the charger had a dim green light. I thought that this is because it didn't had a battery.
    It worked fine until a few days ago, when it didnt boot up. When i press the power button, the LCD flashed for a split second then turns of. The fans start up, and the light indicator in the bottom of the laptop stays on.

I tried removing the RAM modules, and the light still stays on (it should normally blink).

I tried the charger with a similar laptop (early 2007) with no battery, and the green light on the charger is not dim, indicating my laptop had a problem even before.

Any idea on what the problem might be? Is it the logic board, or could it be a corrupt firmware, or a problem with the power connector?

Tried SMC reset, did not help.
    This problem (laptop not booting) happened a couple of times before. The solution was to unplug the laptop and wait 15-20 minutes. After that, it would work. But this time, it didn't.

2. bibyfok macrumors 6502

bibyfok

You should try with an other charger... Get one from Amazon, if it's not that, send it back.

3. GodsOtherHand thread starter macrumors newbie

The charger works fine (full light) on a very similar macbook.. I will try to get a hold on a different charger to try it with this laptop, just to be safe. :D

4. GodsOtherHand thread starter macrumors newbie

Managed to get a hold of a different cherger, but no change.

5. TheBuffather macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

This sounds like a problem that resetting the SMC will help. See the section entitled "On Mac notebooks with removable battery."

6. GodsOtherHand thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried SMC reset before posting here, it did not help..

7. GodsOtherHand, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015

GodsOtherHand thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: The macbook is ok now.
    I did not do anything to it, it just started working after a few days.. weird.

Ty :D