MacBook 2,1 Upgrades

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MacSquirrel, Jul 4, 2012.

1. MacSquirrel macrumors member

Hello, I gave my 2007 WhiteBook to my mom who was using a Dell, It's starting to show its age with only 2Gb of ram and a 120gb 5400Rpm Hdd, I am willing to throw down about $200 to upgrade this machine. I was thinking 4GB of ram and an SSD by Intel. She only uses it for Mail, Safari and iTunes and an occasional use of Pages, but its getting pretty sluggish at those tasks. Would the SSD be worth it for this machine?

Thanks

2. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

The ram and ssd would help to speed up the machine a lot. I would try and do both if you can. The intel 330 and 520 are both good ssd's but are slightly overpriced in my mind depending on where you look (amazon uk here) I would have a look at a samsung 830 and crucial m4 before deciding on what ssd to go for. Seeing as your mum only does basic tasks as you said Mail, Safari and iTunes and Pages then there would be a noticeable performance increase over the current specs. Hope this helps :)

3. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

As the MacBook does not use Sata III, any high performance SSD will do. You don't need the newest of the newest.

An OCZ Agility 3 120G SSD is +/- 90 euro's and it's 60Gb counterpart is 65 euro's (in The Netherlands).

They still offer very high speeds (500mb read) which you can't get anyway. i have one in a MacBook 2,1 Black w/ 4GB RAM and it's blazingly fast!

4. MacSquirrel thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help i will probably go with an Intel SSD and 4GB of ram. This machine is going to stay on 10.6 because thats all she really needs and because of the 64MB of Video Ram Lion will probably not run as well. Good To hear that there are others with the same machine with those upgrades.

5. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

With an SSD and 4GB, Lion runs as smooth as butter.

6. MacSquirrel thread starter macrumors member

7. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

Yes, I've done it a dozen time. I currenty run Lion on my modded BlacBook 2,1 late 2006 with 4GB and SSD.

Want to know my definition of modded? Check the "post your macbook setups"!

8. MacSquirrel thread starter macrumors member

You have a geekbench or novabench score for that machine? Are you the one with the BlackBook with the White Upper Case and Display Bezel?

9. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

Yes, I am.

10. MacSquirrel thread starter macrumors member

I was actually reading that post the other day, Thats a slick machine!

11. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

With those upgrades that macbook will scream. I plan on doing a similar upgrade with my moms laptop. All she does is facebook, email and recipes. I'm upgrading:

The RAM from 2gb to 4gb

The Battery

Going from a 250gb 5400rpm drive to a 64gb SSD (It's all the space she will ever need)

12. mcstain, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

mcstain macrumors newbie

I have the black 2.16 Macbook and it does not recognise the Samsung 830 (it is recognised on a newer Mac).

EDIT: After taking off the topcase I noticed there was a piece of rubber blocking the SATA cable. This drive is now running Lion and does appear to be compatible with this model.

13. MacSquirrel thread starter macrumors member

Tactical Desire: Pretty much all my mom does with hers too, Plus iTunes and some iCal stuff too. When my brother is here he uses it for YouTube and some web surfing so those upgrades should be great!

14. mwhities macrumors 6502a

See my sig for my MB. I think I will get the Samsung 830 256Gig for it soon. I've upgraded the RAM to 8Gigs already and it's running pretty good with the 320G 7200RPM drive I currently have.

OP, I'd say get RAM and SSD. (It helped my early 2009 Mac Mini.)

15. asheenlevrai macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

Sorry for hijacking the tread but I bet no one would now add anything about the OP...

I still have one of those prehistoric macbook2,1 and I already upgraded from the original 80GB HDD to a 500GB hybrid drive.

Now I'd like to upgrade to a 120GB SSD that I have around (OCZ ARC100) but apparently the drive is not recognized as an internal drive. The drives works fine on other machines (PC and Macs)...

I have no idea why this macbook cannot see this SSD? Even when booting holding down the tab key... The SSD won't show up. Any suggestion?

Best,
    -a-

16. asheenlevrai macrumors newbie

same problem using 120GB Crucial MX100 SSD