MacBook 2.16 or 2.2?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steve31, Nov 10, 2007.

1. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I am buying a Blk MacBook but my local Future Shop has the older 2.16 models $250 cheaper. I will run Leopard but have a copy at home. Not sure which one to get. Is the new macbook worth 250 extra? Also can't figure out why Apple is charging us in Canada so much more?

2. OdduWon macrumors 6502a

OdduWon

Santa rosa is well worth the extra cash, plus the new MB has different Mac function buttons.

3. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I'm going to say it's worth the extra money to get the newer model, just because it really is, however whether you'll notice an improvement on the older model depends very much on what your going to do with it.

Your looking at the ability to address 4GB RAM instead of 3.3GB RAM. A 133MHz faster FSB and a 40MHz faster processor (x2). The most noticeable difference will probably be the newer integrated graphics, of which I'm yet to see any benchmarks anyway.

You can also get that newer bigger HDD can't you ? :p

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I'd go with the new macbook for a few reasons:

The SR chip seems to use a little less power (just slightly).
    The new macbook also has better ventilation in the back, so it'll stay cooler.
    Your RAM limit is also raised from 3.3GB to up to 8GB (once the 4GB sticks become available), which means that if you're looking to keep the notebook for longer, this is the way to go.

Finally, nothing beats that new mac smell!:p

5. Hoo03 macrumors regular

Hmm...I'm reading this as 2 new black macbook but your local future shop is clearing out the 2.16 model at $250 discount as supposed to the newest model 2.2.

If that's the case and they're both new, I would say save yourself $250 if this is your 2nd computer. By looking at your signature, it looks like you already have a mbp. However, if this is intended to be a primary computer then the decision is tougher.

Let us know what you will do with it. Do you just plan to just surf the net? Do you plan to play any games? etc

6. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

How can the SR MacBook use 8 GBs of RAM:confused: They only can use up to 4 GBs of RAM.

7. Xcolored macrumors member

It can only have 4G of ram, not 8G, it can only accept 2G sticks (possibly a 3, never tried it before though). I would get the new one, the performance increase sounds minimal, but it really does make a world of a difference.

Zack

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

The current 4GB limitation is caused by the fact that 4GB sticks are not available. However, I believe that the SR chipset supports up to 8GB.

9. steve31 thread starter macrumors 6502a

steve31

thanxs all I placed an order with Apple for the new 2.2 blk macbook:D Its for my wife so she will be happy:D

10. steve31 thread starter macrumors 6502a

steve31

can someone tell me if the screen is brighter than the older ones? It would have been nice to see an LED upgrade.

11. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I don't think it is... but the brightness is already 300 cd/m2, which is really quite bright.

12. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

She's gonna love it! great choice, i'm getting one myself.

13. Tshapi macrumors regular

Another reason to get the MB SR is that, the motherboard i believe supports CPU's up to 2.4ghz , so u can looking to a self upgrade and then put the 2.2 back in when u have to send it in for a repair.

I know some of you people will mention power increase, but if you look at the intel site, the 1.8 2.0 2.2. and 2.4 are lumped together, thus i deduce that they can use the same type of power source.

14. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

It really isn't advisable to perform surgery on a notebook. The odds of messing something up are fairly high, and any damage would force you to cough up the money for repairs (which wouldn't be covered by Applecare, as it would be a consumer error). The minor CPU jump really won't give you much in the long run, and your money would be better spent being set aside for the next notebook 3-5 years down the road.