MacBook 2.16 Scratches on screen...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SFStateStudent, Feb 15, 2008.

1. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

seem inevitable, but they seemed to develop immediately and without warning. I took my MacBook into the Emeryville, CA Apple Store in September '07, just 30 days after I had bought it, and the genius said there was very little they could do to remedy the situation. So, I was considering selling my MacBook and upgrading to the MacBook Air, but those scratches would cause the price to be much lower than I had hoped to sell it for, since it is not in "like new" condition. Well, I took it in today and the genius said they appear to be minute and cosmetic, and it doesn't appear to be problematic with the operation of the MacBook. They said it would cost about $600 to replace the screen, and they would take care of the cost of labor, so deduct about $150 and that would be my cost for the repair. It was clear to the genius and the manager that I've kept my MacBook in pristine condition, but that was not considered in their decision. My next step is "undetermined," so if there are any suggestions on what to do, please overwhelm me with your experience and ideas! :(

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Scratches don't just randomly appear. Are you putting stuff like paper inbetween the keyboard and the screen when you close it? Pix might work here.

3. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm keeping the padding that came with it...

between the keyboard and the screen. The scratches are difficult to see via a camera, and are noticeable when I clean the screen. They're right in line with the spacebar and run the length of about 4" at the center of the spacebar and a height of about 1/16". The genius cleaned the entire screen with iKlear, which is what I've been using since day one, but they couldn't remove the scratches (they initially thought they were smudges). Sorry, but I've taken pictures and they just aren't visible with my Sony 7.1 digital camera. :(

4. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

Have you been using a screen protector? My friends with MacBooks who did not use a protector, all suffered with scratches where the keys make contact with the screen when the computer is closed. The notion that MacBook keys are recessed enough to not scratch the screen, is a myth.

I'd suggest using either the foam insert that originally came with your computer or one of many 3rd party options.

I really doubt it's worth it to replace the screen. If you really need to sell it then do, but I think you'll lose much more money selling it with new screen than selling it "as is".

5. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yep, that's what I've been doing since...

I observed the scratches. Apple has been pretty unresponsive to this problem and has all the excuses about "how it's not their fault" but I still disagree, and feel strongly that it's a design flaw that requires that you BUY additional equipment only after you find out that it's been scratched. There is nothing coming from Apple that this is something that you should be taking some sort of precaution to prevent it from happening. :(

6. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

is it a black macbook? how much are you looking for? PM me

7. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sorry, it's the MacBook 2.16 White...

if you are still interested, Please send me a private message. I think the forum rules don't allow me to actually sell items or advertise to sell items. Thanks :cool:

8. jay1097 macrumors member

paranoid

sorry to bring this thread back from the grave; but how serious of a problem is this? Does this eventually happen to everyone or only to some people?
    I paranoid now :mad:
    Should i get a iskin for my keyboard, or something else?
    Also I have been using my MB for 3 months now and I haven't noticed any anything yet, does that mean that I'm in the clear?

9. bcortens macrumors member

This is totally true, mine too has screen damage around the area where the space bar makes contact with the screen.
    I have since started using the soft foam that came with it to protect the screen.

You really should get some sort of screen protector for the keyboard, it doesn't happen right away, I only noticed it on mine after about 8 months but the keyboards are definitely not recessed enough.

10. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Wow, I was surprised that this thread came back like it did! Definitely get some sort of protective device, though temporary, it can still save your screen from damage of this nature. Sure, there's all sorts of screen and keyboard protection, but I use the foam insert presently and a whole bunch of iKlear to make certain that there is no particles on the keyboard and in particular, the spacebar. A quick blast of "Gas Duster" (compressed air in a can) also does the trick. Pretty common problem for many MB owners, but many have grown accustomed to this sort of damage being cosmetic and not worth their time to get the screen replaced or repaired. February 28, '08, I returned to the Emeryville, CA Apple Store, and was invited by the store manager to a personal shopping spree, at which time I selected the MB 2.4 Penryn 250GB, but since those specs were unavailable the SM offered the BlackBook 2.4 Penryn with the same specs for a straight across swap! Grabbed it up, and walked out of the store a completely satisfied with my new BlackBook. I was persistent, and felt that the damage was not my fault and that it should have been a recall item, since they considered it to be cosmetic and didn't effect the operation of the computer. So, when I asked them to repair for resale, they told me it would be $600 plus tax, so I said what you are telling me is that my 6 month old $1200 MB is now worth $700 given its present condition? They "BLINKED" and I got the brand new BlackBook 2.4 Penryn 250GB, and I even went in and bought a new MBA a couple weeks later. :cool:

11. jay1097 macrumors member

wow thanks for the advice

The thing that really bothers me is that all the solutions require me adding something to protect my laptop. I usually don't like to put cases on my laptops because it adds extra bulk/complications and I didn't buy my laptop so that it could sit in a class case so to speak. I don't mind the the marks on the outside of my case, but my screen had a 4 inch mark on it, it would drive me nuts.

Anyway I think im going to just put the cloth that came with my macbook on top of the space bar. When i close the lid i can actually see through the macbook so i don't think that I should have that much of a problem.

12. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

its probably abrasion over time with pressure causing the screen to come into contact with the keyboard. That kind of stuff isn't covered.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Do you happen to put stuff on my computer with the screen closed? Because that may be the issue.