Macbook 2.16GHZ, 2GB or 3GB of ram?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wanderer509, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Wanderer509 macrumors member

hi all, i am now considering upgrading my macbook's ram, but am tied between 2GB n 3GB.

to my understanding, if i do 3GB total ram i wont get dual channel right? so would it be wiser to just leave it at 2GB? i do not use heavy applications, i usually just msn, surf the web and maybe play some games that arent that graphic intensive.

anyways, 2GB or 3GB?

pros for 2GB:
    -cheaper than configuring for 3GB
    -dual channel

pros for 3GB:
    -faster than 2GB (haha is this a no brainer?)

anyways i read the very useful understanding intel mac ram guide already, so just wondering what is better (considering my needs)

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

will the macbook 2.16 even recognize over 2gb of ram? I thought only the newer 2.2 macbook could have 4gb of ram.

3. Wanderer509 thread starter macrumors member

4. Ryan5505 macrumors regular

Sorry,
    I do not think it will go over 2 GB then. Are 1.5 GB sticks produced?

5. Wanderer509 thread starter macrumors member

ya it recognizes up to 2GB, i was surprise myself when i first found out

wow u guys respond fast, great community =)

6. Ryan5505 macrumors regular

I believe 3 gb is out of the question. Go to 2gb.

7. Wanderer509 thread starter macrumors member

8. mmendoza27 macrumors 6502

The more RAM the better, whatever the case. Even though you won't be using dual-channel, OS X will still use all the RAM it has access too. Look at the bottom of this BareFeats page: http://www.barefeats.com/mbcd6.html

I'm planning on putting 3GB in my 17" C2D MacBook Pro. You can find a 2GB stick for $73 now at OWC.

9. Wanderer509 thread starter macrumors member

that is what i am thinking. so regardless of what i am doing with my macbook, if i have 3GB on my mac, it will use all 3GB of it right? i wish barefeats did an overall speed increase test comparing 2GB n 3GB

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The 2.16 is a Core2Duo
    It will support 2 + 1 Gb
    or 2 + 2 Gb, but will only allow the OS to use 3 Gb of the 4 Gb total.

Slight misconception here -- the performance increase from 2 to 3 GB depends more than anything on the programs you are running. If you are just running Mail, there will be little or no improvement 2 Gb vs. 3 Gb because you are not exceeding the 2 Gb level, so there's no advantage.

But if you are multitasking heavily and switching frequently between more than 2 Gb worth of programs, or have iPhoto with 1000's of photos, or doing digital audio or video, then the 3 Gb will pay off. Photoshop and a few other programs manage their own scratch disk space, and can address up to 3 Gb of memory, so they will show speed increases.

11. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

More MacBook benchmarks with various RAM configurations. Note how little difference dual channel makes. For the money, 3 GB seems to be the sweet spot. You can actually install 4 GB, but only about 3.3 GB will actually be used due to a lack of available registers, or something like that.

12. Wanderer509 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the reply guys! wow 3GB looks impressive... so tempting now! now its just to persuade myself that i really do need 3GB... hahaha