Macbook 2.16ghz or Pro 1.83ghz?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by flac124, May 27, 2008.

1. flac124 macrumors newbie

I currently have a White Macbook 2.16ghz / 2gb / 160gb which I bought used about 3 months ago recently a friend of mine has offered to sell his old 1.83ghz / 1gb / 80gb Macbook Pro. I paid $750 for the Macbook, which I'm sure I can recoup in resell. My friend is offering the pro for $800. Both machines are in good condition with the pro perhaps being slightly 'cleaner' .

I'm an art student so photoshop is running quite bit. I do some light video editing as well.

decisions, decisions... I would like to know what you all would do if you were in my position?

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I would keep the macbook and forego the pro. The Core Duo machines were problem prone and got really hot if i remember correctly.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That MacBook has a Core 2 Duo processor, right?

I would definitely keep what you have now. The MBP your friend has is probably the Core Duo model, which only accepted a maximum of 2 GB of RAM, if I recall correctly. If I'm wrong, then let someone correct me, but I think my friend has a very similar MBP, and I don't think he can put in more than 2 GB of RAM.

4. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i'm going to confirm this. core duo intel macs can only accept up to 2 gb of ram (2 x 1gb sticks). that said, i'd also recommend keeping the macbook over the mbp.

5. astudentis macrumors regular

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

as much as i hate to admit it, yes.. keep the MB.

a 1.83ghz mbp isnt that great, i have my CD MBP (see specs) and while its a great machine, its starting to get a bit slow. another 300mhz less woluldnt help it much.

yes thats true. 2gb max, which is EASILY maxed out these days. i have 1gb of swap already after 2days uptime.

so yes, i would recommend staying with the MB, maybe upgrade the HD with the money you would save.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

there are also 2.16 CD

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

2GB RAM is way more than a lot of people people need.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i have to agree.... sadly, the majority of people dont need it... but i know heeps of people that do

but in my (and many of my friends) case 2gb is NOWHERE near enough... what i need is a MP. 4gb isnt enough for me... i multitask too much..

10. SamoanDude macrumors regular

Errrm, I thought they could use 3 gigs ram? Alot of people was putting in 4 but the Pro would show up with only 3?

Besides, I used a first gen Macbook Pro and it was plenty fast and nice for what I did. I wouldn't diss them too much, they were still a very capable machine:rolleyes:

11. flac124 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, I'm surprise its such a unanimous decision. I've heard about the heat issues with the early MBP's, and I know there aren't without there upgrade limitations. Thanks everyone!

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

nope, CD MBPs can only take 2gb. its a limitation on the motherboard and in the CPU (or something like that).

the MBs CPU is newer, the CD intel cores were pretty weak and all that.. mine has never gotten to the point where it will have to shutdown because its that hot, but it will sit at around 60°C normally, and quite easily get up to 80°C. the CPU cant be upgraded either, its soldered on the mobo. 2gb is also a bummer.

the only advantage would be that there is an actual GPU, compared to the MB which would have the x1300/x3100.. the x1600 would be a pretty big step if your playing games.