MacBook 2.2 - Vibration Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigdaddymac, Nov 5, 2007.

1. bigdaddymac macrumors regular

I switched from Windows to Mac this weekend, and bought a new, black MacBook 2.2 on Saturday at the Apple Store. Used it all weekend at home, and it ran great, not too hot, very fast, etc etc. It was in my lap for use on Sat/Sunday.

Today I brought the MB to my office, put it on my desk and started working. I immediately felt the MB vibrating. It's subtle, but it's definitely there. It kind of numbs my palms after a short time.

I searched and found an old thread about this vibration issue with previous MBs, and it looks like I have the same thing. The vibration stops as soon as I put a piece of paper under the MB, in b/w it and my desk.

Are any other new MB 2.2 owners experiencing the same issue? Does anyone know if Apple will simply swap this out for a new one if I take it back within 14 days?

It is so annoying....Love this thing, and just got it setup how I like it, and now it looks like it's going back....

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Bring it to the Apple Store and ask for a REPLACEMENT. The computer is what, a week old? If anybody there gives you beef, ask for the manager and if that doesn't help, call 1-800-APL-CARE or email Steve Jobs.

Many people have had issues with Apple Store staff. So just incase:p

3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Mine does the same. Doesn't bother me in any way, and I can't see it's going to shorten the life of the machine in any way (it's so minimal, far less than the vibration cause when you spin up a CD).

Unless it bothers you, it's fine IMO. OFC if it DOES bother you, then take it straight back...

4. bigdaddymac thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I guess I'll have to take it back. Any others with the 2.2 having this issue?

5. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

6. samuraikiss macrumors regular

My MacBook doesn't vibrate either. Although I rested my hands on the keyboard and waited, and I did start to feel something... I think that was just my own pulse, though. (I have to confess, a vibrating MacBook does sound cool.)

7. bigdaddymac thread starter macrumors regular

It seems to be the worst on a glass table. I have no clue as to why. I've tried it on a wooden desk and it wasn't as bad. And on a leather top desk, and it wasn't noticeable at all.

Unfortunately my work desk is made of glass.

8. blackgmc macrumors member

Did you get a replacement yet is it any better ? I too have the Vibration problem but only on a glass desk.

9. bigdaddymac thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I also have the problem on a glass desk. I have some small, black padding attached to the "feet" on my macbook, that I took off another device. With those feet, I don't feel the vibration. However, given the few responses to my post and to your separate post, I'm beginning to think we have an abnormality. I may well take my MB back tomorrow and try to convince the Apple store to give me a new one, as I'm within my 14 day date of purchase (without a restocking fee...).

Anyone else have this vibration problem???

10. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

It's a glass desk, people. Glass RESONATES way more than oh.. say wood or metal. You are going to feel anything that has moving parts put off some sort of vibration. The glass is going to AMPLIFY that.

11. bigdaddymac thread starter macrumors regular

OK, thanks, but do you have the problem with your MacBook on a glass desk or not?

12. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Nope. I use an air driven jackhammer on my glass desk and not a single vibration.
    :rolleyes:

13. theman macrumors 6502a

Wait, how is that a problem? Sounds pretty good to me... ;)

14. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

I use mine on a glass table and no vibrations at all. I'd have it checked out.

15. bigdaddymac thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, helpful and hilarious. You must have a lot of spare time on your hands.

In any event, if anyone actually has experience with a MacBook vibrating or not vibrating on a glass desk, those of us who are experiencing this issue would love to hear from you as to whether this is normal or not.

The other laptops in our office, Sony, Emachines, Dell, do NOT vibrate on glass desks...

16. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

What RPM is the disk drive in the MacBook? 7200 or 5400 rpm?

17. bigdaddymac thread starter macrumors regular

5400. It's a new, Black MB, 2.2.

18. maxbene macrumors newbie

Same vibration problem here (2.2GHz SantaRosa MB) whether on glass or not.

I'm within the 14 days, but I don't think I'll go back to Apple, because THIS IS THE 3rd MacBook IN A ROW that I change.
    The first one (10 days ago) had a physical defect.
    The second one (3 days ago) had a broken X3100 graphic card.
    This one vibrates (actually, it started to vibrate yesterday).

Sadly, it sounds like Apple is no longer Apple.

m

19. bigdaddymac thread starter macrumors regular

That stinks. What a pain. I guess I'll take mine back tomorrow. Did they make you pay a restocking fee? I just called the Apple store about the vibration issue and even though I'm within the 14 days, they told me I'd still need to go to the Genius Bar first, and let them check out the computer, before they'd take the return, so I just made an appointment.

How did you check to see if your graphics card was working or not?

20. maxbene macrumors newbie

No, I didn't pay anything.
    They just checked my mac(s) at the genius bar, and agreed to change.

For the graphic card: I was (am) not sure actually it was the graphic card (versus the graphic card drivers or Leopard itself). It was the Genius Bar to identify a HW problem. All I did was to take several snapshots (using "grab") of the video showing evident artifacts, and ten I showed such pictures at the Genius Bar. That was sufficient.

best,

m

21. blackgmc macrumors member

Well I still have my old White Macbook Pre Santa Rosa 2.0GHz and it dose not vibrate at all on my glass desk. This new Black Macbook 2.2Ghz, had the vibration problem the frist time I turned it on out of the box. I am gonna take it to the apple store and see what the have to say.

22. bigdaddymac thread starter macrumors regular

Returned Black MB 2.2

I took my vibrating, Black MB 2.2 back to the Apple store yesterday. As soon as the guys at the Genius Bar touched it, they said they could feel the vibration and immediately gave me a new MB without any hassle. The Genius Bar guys said that they are seeing more of this with some units with bigger hard drives (both my units have the standard 160 GB that comes with the Black MB).

The MB I have now is much improved. There is still a slight vibration on glass surfaces, but no where near the level of my previous MB. I can live with it.

23. carcus macrumors newbie

Fix your macbook vibration with McDonald's Napkin

Analysis: Inadequate shock mounting of hard drive is causing resonance of hard drive through the battery (removal of battery eliminates vibration).

Solution: Insulate battery from hard drive vibration by placing cushioning material inbetween battery spring clip and metal tab on L shaped RAM door.

1. Shut down, unplug computer
    2. Open battery bay
    3. Fold approx 1”x1” piece of napkin over a few times.
    4. Place piece of folded napkin in between battery and case where the metal battery spring clip is located. Use enough napkin material to insulate the clip from the round tab but not so much that it causes excess pressure to lock the battery back into place.
    5. Razor off excess napkin material so it doesn’t look like your macbook walked out of the bathroom with toilet paper on its shoe.
    6. Enjoy a more pleasant physical relationship with your macbook.

Probably not the elegant solution that you were looking for, or how a “genius” would solve the problem, but whatever works, right? Maybe somebody else can think of a better material than the napkin.