MacBook 2.26 GHz: Keep or Trash?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Alameda, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

I purchased my mother a white MacBook 6,1 several years ago. She's retired and she only uses Firefox. She is as far from a power user as they come. This laptop is in extremely clean condition. It is stock: 2 GB RAM and a 256 GB hard drive (60 GB used). Snow Leopard.

The MacBook is getting very slow, and the trackpad doesn't click well. I tried to adjust it, which helps a little. I think part of the slowness is the trackpad, because it doesn't always register clicks.

I am extremely proficient around hardware. So I could replace the trackpad ($50), upgrade the RAM ($50) and install in SSD ($100).

But if I spend this $200, will the performance be worthwhile? I could instead purchase myself a new Mac and give her my MacBook Air, but that would be more expensive.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That Macbook still has a few years of life left. I'd first upgrade to a SSD and see how well it performs with that. That alone will make it feel like a new computer.

3. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

I have recently reconditioned 4 Macbook white Unibody (6,1 or 7,1), by adding RAM (to 4 GB) and Crucial SSDs (240 and 256 GB).

(plus replaced 1 trackpad + 1 battery)

They run perfectly on Mavericks, are snappy and responsive.

Since yours is in perfect condition, I would keep it, put 4 GB of RAM in it and a 128 or 256 GB SSD.

4. XoFu macrumors regular

XoFu

If as you say the MB is in good shape , I would say keep it.
    Those would be 200 $ very well spent! and you will have the feel of a new machine for a fraction of the price
    I have my 7,1 MB running yosemite with some more ram (10G) and a samsung evo 840 250 ssd without problems.

Good luck
    X

5. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I have the same 6,1 Macbook (late-2009). Bottom cover replaced for free by Apple, upgraded to 8GB of RAM and a 250GB Samsung 840 EVO. The only problem now is the trackpad. I enabled touch-to-click, so it serves as a workaround to avoid performing physical clicks. I just ordered a new trackpad from China, but later I discovered it's a used one... I didn't received it yet, but hopefully it will work as a new one as the seller affirms.

In regard to performance, this Mac works like new with more RAM and a SSD. My mother has a Samsung ultrabook with a SSD, i5 processor and 6GB of RAM. It doesn't run as fast as my Macbook. She also uses Firefox and keeps around 50+ tabs always open. Sometimes a couple of Facebook and Gmail windows. I don't know why she likes browsing this way, but I tend to think that Safari would perform better in this context.

I never used Safari when I had Snow Leopard, but it's really improved on Mavericks. Now I only use Firefox for web development (I still prefer Firebug over other web debuggers). Your mother will probably use and love Safari after you upgrade her Macbook to Mavericks.

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I put 8GB and a 500GB SSD into my niece's 7,1 Macbook. I put Mavericks and TRIM enabler on it. It performs about as well as some of the newer MBAs....for much less money.

If it is on the Mavericks compatibility list, it should be able to run Yosemite. So that means it should be good, software wise, for a couple of more years. A good used Macbook is a great way to get someone into the Mac world.

https://www.apple.com/osx/specs/

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I know I'd buy it! It is probably worth it to install the new parts unless you are itching for a new machine.

8. Alameda thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alameda

So I fixed the trackpad, and so can you. First, visit ifixit.com for removal instructions. But you don't need to remove it.
    https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Unibody+Model+A1342+Trackpad+Replacement/6338

You'll need three screwdrivers: A very tiny Philips, a Y-shaped tri-wing screwdriver, and a T6 Torx screwdriver.

What you're going to do is open the case and remove the battery. Keep the power cord plugged in if possible. Then, boot up the laptop. You want the front lip hanging off the edge of your table or desk. What you do is make very tiny turns of the T6 screw that's on the trackpad, on the edge nearest the front of the computer. Very small turn, test, turn, test. That's all there is to it. Once it works, shut down and reinstall the battery, replace the case bottom, and smile.

9. robertosh macrumors 6502a

robertosh

If you fixed the trackpad then it's almost done. Put another 2Gb of memory and forget the SSD, for only using firefox is not needed.

10. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I already did this, but the problem comes back after a week or two... so I preferred ordering another trackpad to see if my clicks will be precise again.

11. robertosh macrumors 6502a

robertosh

Well, runs better but not like an Air...:p

12. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Which Air?

I said "some of the newer MBAs"....not necessarily the latest MBA. ;)

Compared to some of the newer MBAs, at least in a white Macbook you can change out your battery, memory, and storage. :D

13. tampasmix macrumors newbie

SSD Question...

hi fellas,

i have the same 6,1 macbook and i want to upgrade it an ssd.
    my question is, as i read in owc site, the 6g SataIII drives won't work as 3g. They claim that the speed will be reduced to 1,5g!

is this information correct? or as other brands claim, their SSD's are retro-compatible, and i can simple buy a 6g drive(cheaper and easy to find these days) and enjoy-it in is full capabilities(Sata II limited by the logic board)?

Thanks for any help you could give me!

14. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Yes. A SATA III drive will be forced to SATA II speeds due to the SATA II chipset in the MacBook.

15. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Exactly. Both ends, the Macbook controller and the drive controller have to have the same SATA interface....or they have to use the fastest common interface. So even if the drive is SATA III, if the Macbook is SATAII or SATA I, then the drive will effectively run like a SATAI drive.

16. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

In addition, there should be no problems down clocking the SSD on an Intel MacBook so no matter what SATA III SSD OP buys it will work without issue...

17. Buddygor macrumors regular

AYFKM I still use an '06 white MacBook as my daily driver XD

18. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

In my experience, a PNY XLR8 (SATA III) downgrades to SATA I, at least on my SATA II enclosure. Using a Crucial M500 (SATA III) on the same enclosure, it downgrades to SATA II as expected.

In short, all SATA SSDs will work on a SATA-capable Mac, but with some models you can get just SATA I speed even if your Mac supports SATA II.

19. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There are a few exceptions to this. Notably the PowerMac G5 and iMac G5. Those two models often refuse to work in SATA III drives.

20. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I believe MacBooks (Pre-2008) and MacBook Pros (Pre-2007) running non-updated firmwares will also have problems. Fortunately, a simple firmware update in Software Update fixes the problem.

21. iBook_Clamshell macrumors member

Have you reinstalled OS X? It will help some if you do a backup, format the drive , and put on a fresh install of the system. Upgrading the RAM and putting in an SSD will be good also, but you said the MB is "getting slow" which means it was running fast a year ago, right?