Macbook 2.2ghz and 4gb of ram

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by alanswalker, Apr 13, 2008.

1. alanswalker macrumors member

Hey,

just installed 4gb of ram from crucial in my macbook and i've started to have a few problems.

Seen the beach ball more times than i have done in three months and have had a couple of problems shutting down.

the ram has been recognised by the system.

Any one had a similar experience

2. dizzlemizzle macrumors member

no my beachballs significantly declined after installing 4gb...any certain programs or scenarios we can test?

my DVD did start crashing once 4gb was installed though

3. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I would double check the ram that you installed and the slots for it, make sure that it is completely in, and that there is no dust, dirt, or anything else that could be getting in the way between the ram sticks and the connectors.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Might not be (just) the RAM. Think about disk warrior or drive genius to clear up any file-finding problems.

5. awheelhouse macrumors newbie

Same Problem

Yes, I've have the same problem. I also have a late 2007 macbook with 4gb.

If you've been using your macbook for a while, and you then try to play a DVD it will kernel panic. The only around it is to either use some other software to play DVD's, or as I do reboot before playing a DVD.

I've logged a call with Apple, all they can tell me is that they are working on it. If you search on google for "macbook 4gb dvd player kernel panic" you will find a few other people with the same issue.

I'm not very happy at the moment, as it seems to have been known about since early this year, yet it has not been fixed.

6. macrack macrumors newbie

Same here. I have the late 2007 model w/ added 4 gig RAM and can't play DVD's either without a kernel panic. Other than that the 4 gig works perfectly and with my 7200 200GB hard drive I never see beach balls unless there is a program intervention needed. I hope they resolve the DVD issue soon.

7. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

my macbook is 2.4ghz and 4gb of ram. i don't see beach balls, but loading apps does seem a little slow, especially when loading them up for the first time.

8. Uoila macrumors member

A couple things...

1. Whew ... i'm glad that i'm not the only one having this DVD player kernel panic problem. The dvd player is completely unusable so i just use VLC.

2. I don't think dust would have such an impact on your ram performance. Your performance should definitely increase after a RAM upgrade. It sounds like you have bad ram.

9. macornomac macrumors 6502

I've been reading about this and I have the 2.16 Core 2 Duo. I just installed 4gb ram into it. No problems with DVD player. Is this only for the 2.4 gb macbook???

10. macornomac macrumors 6502

Ok never mind I just saw the first post has to do with the 2.2 macbook.

11. macrack macrumors newbie

For those of us with the late 2007 2.2 Santa Rose:
    After the panic happens and you boot back up, Leopard asks if you wish to report the bug. Has anyone done this before? I usually know what happens with other problems and never reported them, but this one is clearly a problem worth reporting. I didn't do it yet...Has anyone else reported it or used the bug reporting process? I guess what I am asking is are we sure Apple is aware of this already?

12. cmturner2 macrumors member

cmturner2

You should report the problem *every time*, that's how priority is assessed to reported problems. The less common problems get the least attention, and lowest engineering priority.

If you encounter a problem, and want it fixed - report it.

13. BlackThunder macrumors member

I did the same.. 4 gigs run great in my 2.16 (well 3.3gigs but whatever)

Everything is noticeably snappier...

14. Ferrari83 macrumors newbie

Emm... My macbook also 2.4ghz latest version and just installed 4gb RAM brand crucial.. I still can see beach balls .... emmmm:confused::confused::confused:

15. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

I have a 2.2 blackbook with 4gb ram. Never had any problems with viewing DVD (I use my notebook a lot to watch movies) and don't get the 'beachball of death' with common use but I don't do many things at the same time other than read and listen to music, surf and listen to music, write and listen to music. :eek:

16. brdnboy macrumors regular

I have a 2.4 gHz Santa Rosa (Early 2008) with 4GB installed. I have the kernel panic issue with dvd player, and have reported it after boot up more than once.

Also I don't know if it ram related or not, but safari (3.2 newest version) seems to hang often and i have had multiple times where it has forced quit, and then at relaunch after force quit it takes many minutes for the app to launch again. Very aggravating for the highest spec macbook possible. I expected a bit more! My other macbook worked flawlessly for over a year as does every other Apple i own. What's up apple?

17. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I have a BlackBook 2.2/4GB RAM and i have not this issue. In fact i just played a DVD again to test it out and it played just fine.

Also dont have any Beach balls.

Maybe its the DVD drive itself?. I have a Matshita UJ-857E

Also maybe repair permissions and run fsck. Also make sure no single app is hogging your system resources in by going into activity monitor

18. DJHarryJ macrumors newbie

Just a Thought...

Would this affect how iDVD previews your DVD before you burn it? I am thinking of upgrading but if this is the case then i won't ;)

Harry.