macbook 2.2ghz for $400 a good deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by youthsport, Jan 8, 2009.

1. youthsport macrumors newbie

I know someone locally that is selling a macbook 2.2 Ghz processor, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 Gb memory, 160 Gb HD, airport extreme card, leopard 10.5 for $400. is that a good deal? i dont know what year it was made and which mb or any other specs on it, but if its in working condition do you think it is worth it? it is for my girlfriend who needs a mac that she can run the adobe suite on, would this machine be capable? thanks

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

It wont run adobe suite very well if at all, but its a good price for a macbook, for adobe suite to function properly you need a macbook pro.

I assume your talking about Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks all CS4?

3. youthsport thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, what do they normally go for used? the guy says he has apple care for it so is that transferable? was this model only able to handle a maximum of 2 gigs of ram or 4?

thanks

4. youthsport thread starter macrumors newbie

well photoshop, illustrator and indesign. arent the others you listed macromedia? but yeah she would be using mostly the three i just listed.

5. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

The Adobe products run just fine on that MacBook. For some reason people like to say that you need a Pro, but they run fine on a MacBook.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Adobe bought macromedia 6 years ago. Now its all the Adobe Suite

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/mastercollection/

Photoshop will run really slowly, Illustrator and indesign will be fine.

7. himansk macrumors regular

Be careful, it can be a scam, 400 is too cheap for the laptop.

8. Cboss macrumors 6502

That is a very good deal. I have the same Macbook and it sold for $1500 only a year ago. And yes, it does support 4 gigs of ram. I'm not sure about the apple care.

9. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

sounds like too good a deal to be true,, be careful... if this is the case good fro you man thats a great laptop for that price

10. youthsport thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah its off craigslist so i told her i'd go with her to look at it, is there anything i should look for if we get the chance to look at it? i'd assume i could also call apple while there and read off the sn# to see if its possible to transfer the apple care and all that.

11. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yeah, just ask to meet up in a public place(like a starbucks) and don't show up alone, not a guarantee that nothing will happen but it's always less likely when you are in a big group.

as for the comp itself, yeah you can just call apple and see what theys ay...

12. youthsport thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks everybody, if we ever get a reply from the guy i'll tell you how it goes.

13. thewireman macrumors regular

thewireman

14. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Adobe CS will run fine on the MB. You need CPU and RAM to run CS. If you put 4 GB RAM in it, which will cost $35 at Fry's, and the 2.2 CPU you will be fine. A brand new MB or MBP wouldn't even run it very much faster at all. The new top end MB and low end MBP only use a 2.4 CPU, and slightly faster RAM.

You definitely don't need a MBP, as I ran CS on my first generation MBA which is a snail compared to the 2.2 CPU MB.

$400 is a great deal. I would buy it as a backup system if I had the opportunity. Good luck.

15. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

sorry dude but this has got to be a scam.

especially since you are on craigslist. and that he hasnt gotten back to you.

usually if there isnt a phone number listed then its a scam.

but hey if you do get it for 400...thats one hell of a steal!

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

FAIL!
    The Adobe suite will run just fine on nearly any Macbook.

17. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

This guy has no idea what he's talking about.

A 2.2ghz C2D will run CS4 extremely well, with the only exception being sub-par performance on photoshop filters on large files. BTW I'm a graphic designer who has, in the last year, used CS3 on a powerbook g4, a macbook pro at 2x2.0ghz, a macbook pro at 2x2.4, and a mac pro at 8x2.8, and seeing very little change in my workflow across the lot (the g4 was a little slow opening big files and running filters, but not bad), so you can trust me over kastenbrust. The only reason to avoid the macbook is if she'll be using after effects or final cut pro, because the (lack of) graphics card makes a big difference.

18. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I totally agree, Photoshop will run fine on the MacBook. I even use Photoshop on a MacBook Air and I find the performance fine.

19. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Yeah maybe CS1!! but theres NO WAY CS4 would run properly on the Rev A MBA otherwise noone would buy the MBP.

20. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

You have no idea what you're talking about. We run Photoshop CS4 on Pentium 4 Single core Dells at the paper. I have a very fast computer at home. For almost all purposes (files that exceed the available RAM are an exception), there is no difference using the Adobe suite.

Photoshop would run fantastically on the dual core Macbook Air, especially with 2gb RAM. CS4 is totally usable on a 1.4ghz Pentium 4 with a single gigabyte of ram.

21. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You have nooo idea what you're talking about. First off CS4 runs great on Macbooks. The Air is irrelevant to this thread. However, anything requiring a good graphics card, like shake, motion, aperture are all better suited to the MBP.

Again Kastenbrust this is the second place I've seen you say something ridiculous when you have no idea what you're talking about. So it'd be nice if you just stop posting if you don't know what you're talking about.

22. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Thats a Dell, a windows machine, its different rules.

OK so theres no reason for anyone using anything other than shake, motion or aperature to get a MBP. Whatever.

Perhaps your the one who has no idea what theyre talking about.

23. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

Yeah dude. Enough specualtion. The OP was asking for info based on experience, and some of us already provided.

Like I said. I have personally run CS3 very well on my Powerbook G4 1.33ghz, so it will run very well on any Intel Mac.

24. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

There aren't different rules :D:D:D:p :rolleyes:
    Wow! That was a good laugh

Well... unless you need the graphics card (for apps like Shake, Motion, or Aperture; need the screen real estate, or the backlit keyboard then you don't need a Macbook Pro over the Macbook. Do people still buy them instead of the Macbook? Sure.

Really you're the one with no idea what you're talking about. Since I'm running Adobe CS4 on my little black macbook I'd say I'm the authority on the subject, not you.