Macbook 2.2GHz vs. IMac 2.0 CoreDuo to drive 23" display ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DHart, Jan 23, 2008.

1. DHart macrumors 6502

DHart

I have a white iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo (an early Intel iMac) and am considering getting a new MacBook 2.2GHz.

I was curious which would perform better running Photoshop and driving an Apple 23" Cinema Display. The iMac 2.0 GHz is maxed out at 2 GB RAM and the MacBook 2.2GHz would be loaded with 4GB RAM.

I assume the display card to drive the external monitor is better in the iMac, but the processor and RAM are faster/greater in the MacBook... so, which machine would be quicker in running the 23" display using Photoshop to edit images?

2. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

If you're comparing just those two machines, then yes... the MacBook would be better for the job.

3. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

yes, definitely the macbook. no questions asked.

4. DHart thread starter macrumors 6502

DHart

Thanks for the info. I've been happy with the performance of my 20" iMac, so I guess I'm going to be thrilled with the speed of the new MacBook!

When driving the 23" display with the MacBook for Photoshop use, would I notice anything less than desireable about the 23" display due to being driven by the relatively meager graphics chip in the MacBook?

5. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

The MacBook would be far superior to the iMac. I couldn't believe how much faster a 2GHz Core 2 Duo is than a 2GHz Core Duo.

As for the screen, are you considering an ACD? If so, I'd wait a while (if you can), because they're very overpriced at the moment.

You shouldn't notice anything less than desirable with the 23" display because the graphics chip in the MacBook is actually quite good. Ok, it's no games GPU, but it's far superior to any previous Intel Integrated Graphics chips.

6. DHart thread starter macrumors 6502

DHart

gazfocus.... great news! That's awesome. Now I'm really excited to get the new MacBook. For the panel, I'm considering a 24" NEC, HP, or Dell. (Hate to buy anything saying "Dell" on it, but if it's a superior panel, so be it!) I have to do more research on 23-24" panels to make my final decision. A cheap display won't work for me. I need a matte screen, 1080p, accurate colors, without artificial saturation increase. The display will be used to edit professional portrait photography prior to being sent to a commercial lab. Skintones, colors, saturation, brightness, all gotta be right! And in that regard, I've LOVED my 20" iMac Core Duo 2GHz machines - they have produced beautiful, accurate images with just the basic, built-in calibration process. Gotta love Macs!

7. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

Sorry to butt in here. I have the aluminum imac 20" 2.4 c2d. I've been thinking of selling it and getting a macbook. I use my imac for video and photo editing plus for my studies. I just want some advice/views on whether I should do this.

I study and work from home. I do get fed up working in the same place for too long and move my imac to another room. However, I only have the lounge and kitchen to work in and it does take up a lot of room on the kitchen table.

I think what I am really saying is would I be taking a backward step in terms of performance, graphics etc from my imac to a macbook. I do have a monitor I can connect the macbook to at the desk in the living room.

Thanks

8. DHart thread starter macrumors 6502

DHart

deniser.... I too really need to get away from my desk many times when computing, just can't sit like that for too many hours without wanting to get away.

Once you start using a MacBook on the sofa, in bed, at Starbucks, on the plane, at your desk even!, you'll be hooked! Note that the 13" display really isn't suitable for much in the way of graphics or photo editing, but for surfing, e-mail, and many other tasks, it's fine and if you can connect it to a good quality display panel when at the desk for serious graphics work, a MacBook is really versatile! You will definitely want a 20"-24" display panel to connect your MacBook to for your serious graphics work.

From what I hear, the 20" aluminum iMac display is not very good quality and you can do much better with a separate display panel connected to a MacBook.

If you want to use a laptop for your graphics work without an external monitor, consider a 15" MBP which will be a bit better than the 13" MacBook in terms of display space. As for speed, I doubt you'd notice much difference in Photoshop as long as the RAM is maxed out at 4 GB.

9. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

DHart..... thanks, you understand where I am coming from lol. Change is as good as a rest and helps with motivation. I have been looking around this evening and yes a cinema screen and macbook would be ideal. I wish my funds could run to the MBP to have the larger screen. Even the refurbs are quite expensive.

10. DHart thread starter macrumors 6502

DHart

Yeah... me too! But I feel the MacBook 2.2GHz with 4 GB of RAM will give nearly the same performance with graphics apps as the MBP 2.4GHz for 1/2 the money... albeit with a smaller screen. I won't use mine for Photoshop editing except with the 24" monitor... but I'll use it for everything else with and without the 24"er.

11. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

Well, I've ordered the 2.2ghz macbook in white and a 20" display from Apple this morning. I have also put my iMac on ebay today.

12. DHart thread starter macrumors 6502

DHart

Update: I bought the MacBook 2.2GHz and an HP LP2465 monitor. HP display will be here tomorrow. The 24" HP uses Samsung's LTM240M2 S-PVA panel, the same panel used by Eizo in their ColorEdge CE240 24" Graphics Monitor... should be excellent image quality and HP's 3-year warranty (with overnight replacement if needed) is unbeatable. The 23" Apple display was my alternative (and excellent!) choice. If I'm not happy with the HP, I'll probably replace it with the 23" ACD.

http://macworld.pricegrabber.com/rating_getprodrev.php/product_id=21418743/id_type=M

http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/review3667_main18343.html

The new MacBook is awesome!!!

deniser.. you're going to love the combination of the new MacBook and the 20 Apple Cinema Display. Funny thing, I calibrated my MacBook with Apples built in calibration system, fired up CS3 and edited some images on it while relaxing in the comfort of bed. Actually worked out quite well! The MacBook was plenty speedy enough with CS3 Photoshop. And if you are careful about the angle that you view the little TN-panel screen, you can reasonably judge color accuracy fairly well. Of course the 20 ACD will be far superior for such work, but the little MacBook is reasonably decent for the task given the size and price. You're going to love it.

Two things I would suggest for your MacBook, one for working at the desk and the other for working with the machine on your lap in a chair or in bed.

This thing is great for working in bed: (simlar products are available from other sources for more and less money)

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/s...-listing&PID=500871&catalogId=10051&langId=-1

And this thing is great when folded for desktop work (see "More Images" on the webpage)

Enjoy!

http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=PA243U

13. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

DHart, your first link did not work for me as it asks you for a zipcode and I am in the UK and not sure of how the zipcodes format to input one to take a look.

I am trying to find out where my macbook is going to be shipped from, whether its China or Ireland. I've been searching the internet, nothing seems concrete though. It states shipping by 31st Jan and delivered by 12th Feb. I ordered the dvi cable too to hook up the macbook to the acd so it has changed to a CTO order. Never mind I''ll enjoy the thrills of waiting and tracking it etc.

Only problem is if my iMac sells sooner I could be without a mac, never mind, it'll all come good in the end.

14. DHart thread starter macrumors 6502

DHart

deniser... sorry for your wait on the product... you're right, though, it'll all come good in the end!

Here's a link to another supplier of lap desk products... I love using this with the Targus laptop computer holder when sitting on the sofa or in bed... makes working in those places very easy and comfortable. Enjoy.

HTTP://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/NAVIGATION/Preview.asp?Params=category=5-344|level=2-3|link=LN

15. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

DHart those lap tables look really good. I'll look around on UK sites to see if I can get one. My MacBook and ACD order has been shipped now. I have also ordered 4gb ram to put in it when it gets here.

16. DHart thread starter macrumors 6502

DHart

Update... the MacBook and a 24" HP S-PVA monitor are an incredible and versatile combination! I much prefer this approach to a single 24" iMac (especially with all the display problems they have with the new ones), even though the processor speed of the current MB is a bit slower than the current iMac.

The HP LP2465 (presently in the $520-$575 range) is a superb monitor... the panel HP uses (Samsung S-PVA) is so incredibly close in quality to an IPS panel that I'm thrilled with the choice and the 24" real-estate. ;) The moment I plugged the HP into the MacBook, a perfectly neutral, even, brilliant grey image came up and I discovered that HP's default calibration straight out of the box is dead on to the calibrated iMac IPS screens I am accustomed to working with. I opened up my calibration test images on the HP 24" and compared them the the lab printed hard prints I have for testing and the set-up is spot on right out of the box! I couldn't be happier. Superb monitor and the little MacBook is a very capable performer in it's own right. (The 4 GB of RAM really opens things up nicely for power users - I often have four or five apps open at the same time I'm editing images in PS. No problems whatsoever with this set up.)

Deniser.... I'll bet you are so eager to get your set-up... and I know you'll be just as thrilled with yours as I am with mine.

17. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

Thanks, and I can't wait, but I will patiently lol.

I have been looking to buy a levenger lap desk in the UK but there don't seem to be any around. I have emailed them about shipping to the UK and if I will have to pay customs before I order.

DHart... I am so pleased to hear that your display and MB are brilliant, you are getting me excited just reading what you wrote. Have fun

18. DHart thread starter macrumors 6502

DHart

You bet it will! ;)

19. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

20. DHart thread starter macrumors 6502

DHart

denise... did you try searching for "lap desk" "lap table" "laptop desk"? I came up with a lot of sources here doing that, but it seems that here in the USA we have more options than might be available in other areas... worse comes to worse, have one shipped to me and I'll turn around and ship it to you.

21. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

Yes I have tried all those search options. Not even the Targus one is available on their UK site, couldn't believe that !!!