MacBook 2.4 or Pro 2.5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jamescwarren, Jan 25, 2009.

1. jamescwarren macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

Hi. I'm looking to replace my current 2.0 Core Duo MacBook from 2006. I'm really getting into music creation at the moment. If I were to go for the 2.4 MacBook unibody with 4 GB RAM, would I notice a difference in speed compared to my current MacBook? Would that difference be ever more exaggerated if I went for the 2.5 Pro? Or... I know a lot of people say if you wait now you'll be waiting forever etc... but with me getting into music creation, would it really be worth waiting for the i7's later on this year? I.e. would I get a big difference with GarageBand or Logic compared to the current MacBooks? Or if I wanted the i7 would it really be a long time before they get released? I don't desperately need a new computer at the moment, more of really wants one. But will I be making a mistake if I don't wait? Thanks.

2. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

The Intel Core i7 is said to be leaps and bounds better than the current Core 2 architecture. Plus, if you're getting into music production, you'll definitely want FireWire. Thus, a MacBook won't cut it. You could wait and see if the next model will reintroduce FireWire, but don't keep your hopes up too high. Your best bet would be a MacBook Pro. If you decide to wait for the Core i7 or not, is entirely your decision. You'll definitely notice the speed difference with your MacBook. The GPU is really slow in yours, and the FSB is really lacking compared to what's available today. Your CPU is slower, too. Once Snow Leopard is here, these things will matter more than today with Leopard. You could, of course, wait until Snow Leopard is out. You have FireWire now, so no need to get a new laptop for that now. You'll probably be able to hold up with MacBook until 10.6 is out, I guess.

Yeah, I'd say wait until Snow Leopard is out. With a bit of luck, new MacBook Pros with the Core i7 chips will be introduced around the same time. And maybe, if you're really lucky, Apple decides to introduce MacBooks with FireWire and the Core i7, too. But that's a bit of a stretch. Not so much the CPU, but I don't really believe they'll reintroduce FireWire.

3. jamescwarren thread starter macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

Is i7 going go be miles ahead though in day to day tasks? By that I mean internet browsing, word processing, Aperture, iMovie or Final Cut, bits of Photoshop CS3, and then the GarageBand/Logic. Do you think the results with i7 will be dramatically different... ie make Core 2 Duo look bad :confused: ? I'm not too fussed about having to buy Snow Leopard separately.

4. jamescwarren thread starter macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

Also, is Firewire necessary for music equipment. Most of the stuff I have seen is USB and someone else on Macrumors has said it pretty equal between USB and Firewire :confused:

5. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

go with the new unibody, my friend has the last gen 2.5 pro and the case is starting to look old, the uni should be great lasting for a while longer

6. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

So, you're limiting your choices to buying a Macbook now, or wait for i7?

That doesn't make sense. You are wondering if you should buy low-end now or wait and buy high-end later. Why don't you just buy a high-end Macbook Pro now? I doubt you will see i7 in a laptop until they get in the desktops. I would guess that the earliest would be Fall or late summer. And... I doubt you will see i7 in a Macbook. We'll be lucky to see it in the Macbook Pro.

Expand your horizons. Look at the current Macbook Pros, or the previous generation for good deals. Check out the iMacs or wait and get a Mini or Mac pro when they get revised.

7. SummerBoy macrumors regular

SummerBoy

FireWire is failed technology. USB is much faster and much more compatible with devices. Apple finally realized of and trying to keep up with industry by eliminating it. You should be fine with new unibody MacBook or MacBook pro.

8. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

This is patent nonsense. How slow is your current macbook for what you are doing? What exactly are you doing, track counts, VIs etc.?

I would likely get the MBP if I could afford it for your needs. Though, honestly, if I was buying I'd get the new plastic macbook (but this would be a silly upgrade for you).

9. rickboy macrumors newbie

Im getting into music production and no right now processor speed isnt that important. As long as its over 2.0 Ghz processor speed your very good, conisering the fact that most processors are dual core.

I bought a 13 inch macbook yesterday. I put 4 gigs of RAM and I plan to use it to DJ with ableton Live and Serato... and Produce with logic. For sound you are good, the extra RAM is worth it. Also invest in a faster hard drive, 7200 rpm, will make your computer much more faster. I learned that no matter how fast the processor is, if it cant be accessed quickly from the hard drive its not gonna be a major differance in performance.

In respects to Firewire and USB, most DJ and music equipment and midi controllers hook up through USB and since music doesnt need so much data to process like video or animation USB is more then enough. However I prefer Firewire, since im also a graphic designer and work on very large files between my hard drives. I only bought my Macbook because I didnt have the cash to go Pro. But the Firewire remains a big issue to me.

Go with the lowest processor speed, as much RAM as you can afford and Harddisk SPEED you can. Save that extra hundred dollers youd spend on just a 0.1 khz processor speed upgrade, not worth it to me. Hope this helps

10. akbc macrumors 6502

FireWire being a phased-out technology, I can understand.

But USB 2.0 is not faster than FireWire at ALL.

Yes, the documentations say it's at 480Mb/s and FW400 is at 400Mb/s, but FireWire has its own controller which pumps out 400Mb/s evenly and consistently.

USB 2.0 average speed is about 200Mb/s ~ 250Mb/s.
    The PEAK speed is 480Mb/s but that rarely happens.

11. akbc macrumors 6502

- 2.4 Unibody would be a huge leap from your MacBook.

- 2.5 MBPro from last generation is actually somewhat on-par with the Unibody in terms of CPU power, since unibody has faster FSB, faster Memory and such.

- Core i7 for Mobile computing won't happen anytime soon. The heat/power is just too much for mobile computing. Maybe Core 2 Quad for mobiles, but not Core i7. I'd say.. wait 2-3 years for Apple to adopt that into their mobile computing... IF they ever do, or if there are no better substitutes by then.

- It really comes down to the discrete graphics card (8600M) and the screen size. And last gen MBPro has more universal connectivity... (DVI, FW/USB and such)

12. colickyboy macrumors member

Yes. Laptop i7s won't be available until late 09 at the earliest... and Apple most likely won't incorporate them into MB/MBPs until 2010.

Besides, for your needs, Core i7s are overkill. It's like getting a Lamborghini for trips to the grocery store on the next block... with the occasional highway use where the speed limit is 65 mph.

13. HyperSnake macrumors member

So you rather get a Toyota now than wait a year and get a Lamborghini? Computers are like cars, top speed is not important, but acceleration is everything.

14. jamescwarren thread starter macrumors 6502

jamescwarren

Thanks everyone for replying! The only thing I would ask is... has anyone here gone from a MacBook to a MacBook Pro? I will also be using it to take to school about 3/5 days... to be honest, the main thing I'm more worried about with the Pro is portability. I know it's not BIG, but does anyone here take their Pro with them a lot? Is it awkward?

15. Pixellated macrumors 65816

I have done so. It is lighter than most 13" Windows notebooks. It is actually pretty light.