MacBook 2.4 version 4.1 2009 upgrade or buy new?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dj2big, Oct 18, 2011.

1. dj2big macrumors newbie

The only upgrade 4Gig ram

I'm thinking I have had this MacBook for a little over 3 years. It's time to buy a new one or upgrade. Before this laptop I bought a power Mac 7200 80/av and I actually still use it. I don't really want to get outdated again so, should I just upgrade my ram to 6gig ram upgrade the hard drive and upgrade the OS to the latest or buy a new MacBook? I just need some opinions the good the bad.

2. session101 macrumors regular

if you're going to upgrade buy a macbook pro, if you don't want to shell out the $$ you can just upgrade yours for under $150 RAM, HD, and OSX

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yep

Just got my new MBP, I know folks are talking about the new ones, but got mine now for a couple of reasons:

1) I needed a 17" laptop replacement for my older Toshiba.

2) I needed the seamless interfacing.

3) I WAs going to buy a 4S SIM free form Apple, but found I can have one free from my carrier in a months time.

4) Cause I can :)

I'd get the MBP 17" 8GB...I'm really happy with mine.

4. dj2big thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I don't need the bigger screen so I think I'm just going to upgrade the hard drive and ram

5. howbotnik macrumors newbie

My white macbook is a late 2006 model and its still running strong.

I've upgraded to 3gb (Max) 250gb hard drive. The only limiting factor for me is the graphics power. It still runs Logic Studio flawlessly, I even upgraded to multitouch with a magic trackpad. These macs last for years, I think there's a lot of pressure to get the 'latest' technology that just does not make sense.

Unless there's a problem with yours or you need something that that modern line of macs offer, I wouldn't bother spending the extra money. (Talk to an apple employee in store and they will tell you the same.)

H

6. dj2big thread starter macrumors newbie

7. haydarekarrar macrumors newbie

upgrade!! anything else is just a rip-off. I bought a SSD (60GB) that my system runs on and it feels (and is?) faster than my other macbook pro. Sure there have been some issues with the optibay, but maybe that was just bad luck.

Upgrade to SSD at least!!

8. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

http://www.apple.com/magictrackpad/

An external multitouch trackpad designed for Mac desktop computers BUT works with any Mac supporting Bluetooth. It allows you to use multi-touch gestures from Snow Leopard and Lion. It's very nice if you want the multitouch gestures that the new MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs have, since your trackpad does not support them. You can also get the Apple Magic Mouse which contains some (but not all) multitouch gestures in the shape of a mouse. It also works with any Mac that supports bluetooth.