Macbook 2.4 vs macbook Pro 2.4 and 2.5

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mladenz, Oct 14, 2008.

1. mladenz macrumors regular

Oke guys, im in for buying a new macbook (pro) but i need some advice;

I have 3 options:

Macbook 2.4
    Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB DDR3 Memory
    250GB hard drive1
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
    $1,599.00

Macbook Pro 2.4
    Intel Core 2 Duo
    15-inch widescreen
    2GB Memory
    250GB hard drive1
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB
    $1,999.00

Macbook Pro 2.5:
    Intel Core 2 Duo
    15-inch widescreen
    4GB Memory
    320GB hard drive1
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB
    $2,499.00

I'm a graphic designer and that's what's my school is about too. I have my imac as my main computer, and will stay my main.

So what do you guys think is the best for me? Im not rich but im not poor either, just normal.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

With the educational discount:

MacBook $949
    MacBook Pro 2.4 $1,899
    MacBook Pro 2.53 $2,299

I still prefer the MBP with the Firewire port for external hard drives, bigger screen, etc. Your priorities may be different.

3. mladenz thread starter macrumors regular

I do like the bigger screen and the firewire ofcourse but now im thinking about the macbookpro 2.4 and 2.5, is is worth it? Will there be a significant difference thats worth 400?

4. mladenz thread starter macrumors regular

oh and i can also just buy 4gb and add them in the macbook pro right? Just like i did with my imac?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Half of the $500 difference in price between the 2.4 and 2.5 isn't the processor, but 2 vs 4GB RAM and a 250GB vs 320GB hard drive. The 2.4 has half as much graphics memory and L2 cache, but it's likely you wouldn't notice any measurable performance difference. RAM is more important.

6. Coldwater macrumors member

If you aren't going to go with the 2.8 option and you will put in ram yourself, go with the base. An extra 100 Mhz isn't worth it and the VRAM doubling does nothing.

7. mladenz thread starter macrumors regular

I know that the 0.1 ghz wont have a difference but the ram and graphic card will. But will i be able to add the 4gb myself? Just like i did with my imac? And will there be a difference with the graphic card? Im not really a gamer, i only do photoshop and similar programs?

Nah i waited for this thing 5 months now:p

8. Coldwater macrumors member

The extra VRAM in the card will do nothing, it has a 128 bit memory interface so it can only take advantage of up to 256MB. Any more is like giving a man who can work three machines three more. He won't go any quicker because he can only use three.

And yes, the RAM is fully user replaceable, just make sure you look at notebook RAM and not normal RAM. (Not saying you would, just trying to be clear. :D)

9. mladenz thread starter macrumors regular

Ghehehe, So i guess il go with the 2.4 and replace the 2gb for 4gb myself? That's the best think i can do, i think.

10. nsarwark macrumors newbie

nsarwark

My understanding is that the 9600M is designed for up to 1024MB of VRAM. Why would they build it that way if the extra VRAM over 256MB did absolutely nothing? I'm incredulous that they'd put VRAM on a card if it didn't do anything.

Also, won't the doubled L2 cache in the 2.53 GHz machine give a speed boost?

11. mladenz thread starter macrumors regular

Is there a difference between the old macbook pro ram and the new macbook pro ram? Where can i get it for my new macbook pro?

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, there's a difference.

You'll find answers to this and many other commonly asked questions under the Guides tab at the top of this page:

If you have questions that these sources doesn't cover, you can check to see if it has been answered in another thread by doing a Google search of the forums. I hope this helps!

13. LinMac macrumors 65816

The last revision used DDR2 memory while the newer revision uses DDR3 memory. Just wait a few days and you'll see the various memory vendors update their websites to sell the new memory.

14. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

What the **** does that mean, "just normal"? You mean Middle Class?

If you're a designer then you should either be looking at a 17" MBP or a previous revision 15" MBP; glossy displays are shît for color reproduction.

15. mladenz thread starter macrumors regular

That means that i cant trow money away necessarily or else i would buy the topend right now wouldnt i? Im working on a imac glossy, cant see whats wrong with it.

EDIT: i see everyone complaining about the glossy, but whats so wrong with it? I have my imac now and have no problems with it.