Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FreedomFighter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Hey Guys,

I apologize if this has been spoken about before however i have a few different view points.

First of all I am a student and don't exactly have inexhaustible amounts of money so I want my investment to A: Have a bit of resell value and B:stay relatively good performance in Audio/Visual Editing software eg. Logic & Aperture.

I can Get the 2.4 MacBook with Apple Care for AU$1367.25
And the the 2.4 MacBook Pro with Apple Care for AU$1792.05
That is US$946.7 and US$1239 Respectively (Brand New)

I thought these were very reasonable prices and for the price I was initially going to go with the MacBook Pro. I guess what I am asking is the MacBook capable of handling my Audio/Visual work and some light gaming (C&C 3, COD4) and will the MacBook be a Long term investment or will it need replacing in 1 - 2 years

Thanks for your help.

FreedomFighter

kindablue09

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2009
The macbook will last for 3 years, buying apple care will make sure of it. However, the mbp has a better gpu. You can check out the specs below and see if its worth it to you.

http://www.macworld.com/article/136...oomia_ow=t0:s0:a38:g26:r5:c0.013013:b22632546

Personally, I would go with the faster machine to play COD4, but I don't know how important gaming is to you with respect to your funds.

And are those prices available to the public?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I own a unibody MB, and the display is very disappointing. The viewing angle and blacks are just horrible. Compare a unibody MB to a MBP side by side with video in an Apple store - the difference is amazing.

Also, the MBP is really the same thickness as the MB. And, the MBP is only like a pound heavier. Really as a portable Mac, the MBP is not too much heavier to lug around. However, if you fly in coach the MBP is tough to open in a standard airline seat.

So, the display is far superior in the MBP. The speed in both is very similar. If you are going to primarily use at a desk, consider the 24" Apple Cinema Display. It is just like a docking station. And actually, I would say that if you are going to primarily use at desk, even more reason to go with the MB and add a 24" LED backlit ACD. It seems like the contrary, but that would give you the best of both worlds. The MB with the Nvidia GPU is able to drive up to a 30" ACD. However, if you are going to use away from a desk, the more reason to get the bigger MBP native display and more screen real estate. Seems like backwards logic, but think about it before purchasing as to how you really will use it. I have noticed my 13.3" rev B MBA feels like both an ultra portable Air and a desktop once plugged into the 24" LED ACD. So, to me I get best of both worlds.

Definitely upgrade the RAM yourself for like $75 no matter which Mac you buy.

Good luck with whichever you choose. They are both really nice Macs.

FreedomFighter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Hey Guys,

Thanks for your help the jury is still out on the decision and most likely for quite a while There a are a lot of pros and cons to consider :(

The macbook will last for 3 years, buying apple care will make sure of it. However, the mbp has a better gpu. You can check out the specs below and see if its worth it to you.

http://www.macworld.com/article/136...oomia_ow=t0:s0:a38:g26:r5:c0.013013:b22632546

Personally, I would go with the faster machine to play COD4, but I don't know how important gaming is to you with respect to your funds.

And are those prices available to the public?

No sorry these are not open to the public, just a few connections I have ;)

Thanks again for your input

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.