Macbook 2.4 White vs. Uni Macbook 2.0

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ebook, May 12, 2009.

1. ebook macrumors 6502

Okay, my old PowerBook G4 1.5 seems to be on it's last legs (the superdrive doesn't work, it goes to sleep if I watch a Youtube video when the fans kick on high, and it has 0 battery life). I need to replace it for work and I see that they have the White Macbook 2.4's on the refurb store at the moment.

My question is this. What are the real world use differences between the new Unibody 2.0 and the White 2.4? I usually have multiple Safari tabs open, run Pandora, have a Word doc or Powerpoint open, and run iPhoto quite a bit with a decent sized photo library. Other than that I blog for a few companies and use online blogging software that isn't taxing. Using iMovie is something that I would do as well.

I have read that there are differences in the RAM and the graphics along with the screen (and of course the form factor), but what are the real world differences between these two machines?

Thanks for any help.

2. ebook thread starter macrumors 6502

I figured someone would do that ... how do you do that? I just plain googled the exact same thing, but didn't find much help. Thank you.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

append "site:forums.macrumors.com" to the end of your search string(s).

4. Liam8 macrumors 6502

Liam8

I just got a new macbook unibody 2GHz yesterday and I tested speeds up against my moms white MacBook and the unibody is way faster... Unibody all the way

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Use the link to MRoogle in my signature, it's a Google front end for MR made by an user of this forum.

It's better than the built in search.

6. samac92 macrumors 6502a

I have the 2.0 ghz unibody macbook and it handles all that easily while running photoshop as well with large files on dual monitors. Compared to my sisters white MacBook, mine is definitely faster and handles everything better, though hers is the low end white MacBook.
    I personally would go with the unibody, the graphics card does make a difference with loading things in cover flow etc, and the trackpad is miles better in my opinion.
    plus it looks nicer :)

7. ruku macrumors member

I think if you are considering the white 2.4 you should instead go for the white 2.0 available in the apple store now. it has the updated graphics chip and if you buy the 2.4 then your fans will come on during youtube clips just like your older computer. This is something i had to live with for a while and i wouldn't recommend the older computers either. The new whitebook is cheaper and you can upgrade the ram cheaply. The difference to the alu book is much less than the refurb youve chosen.

8. zunairryk macrumors regular

the trackpad on unibody macbook is indeed way better than the track pad on whitebook, however, macbook white has same graphic card as well as processor. Everything is same except that it has only 120gb of hard drive as opposted to 160gb on alu macbook, and also it has ddr2 ram as opposted to ddr3 in macbook. Being said that, these are very minor differences, i mean u can always upgrade hard drive to something like 320gb 7200 rpm, and u most likely wont even notice the difference between ddr2 and ddr3 ram in average tasks.
    Battery life on both laptops is also pretty much same.

BUT, as u already know tht the main difference is between design. i would suggest if u have the money just get the alu macbook. Its very solid, thin and light, looks better than macbook white, and also the screen is way better. I compared white macbook screen with alu macbook at futureshop, and the difference was CRAZYY. I put some background on both laptops, and colour on whitemacbook were just soo dull. However, im not sure if every white macbook is like that, maybe the one i saw had bad screen, bc it was actually really bad. The screen on alu macbook is alot better, but obv not the best, colours are good and bright, but it just too glossy which can be annoying sometimes when you are outside

Edit: Sorry i didnt realize that you were looking at older version of laptop. What i said is about the current laptops offered in apple store

9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...2.0 whitebook is the best value right now out of the refurb store...

10. amabo macrumors member

People have already stated all of the differences. If you can't go and see both demoed in front of you, than justify what you need and what is wanted. If those total to $300 than buy the unibody. People aren't going to check out the item for you.

The difference between both refurbished items are $250 (comparing 2GB 2.0GHZ to the same specs). If you're buying applecare, factor that in to your total budget.

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

As with many things in life, it's a bit of a tradeoff. The aluminium MB is beautifully designed, aesthetically stunning, better-built and newer than the white MB. It is also more expensive. So, you are trading style, build quality, resale value, for something which probably offers the best value at the moment (the white MB) for an excellent computer. Spec wise, there is not a huge difference between them. If you can afford it, I'd go for the aluminium MB - and get Applecare; if finance is an issue, get the white MB. It is still an excellent computer.

Cheers and good luck

12. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I disagree with the "beautifully designed" part of this. Yes, there is no doubt that the aluminium MacBook is better constructed but I think it looks truly hideous. To me, it's easily one of the worst looking computers Apple has ever made. There was no real reason for them to make the keyboard and screen rim black whatsoever, it could have been silver and then we really would have had a "beautifully designed" computer.

To the OP: I went from a 2.2GHz MacBook to the new 2.0GHz aluminium one. I noticed no difference in CPU performance but the new one is significantly cooler and the fans come on less often.

13. audioteknika macrumors regular

Plastic MBs are far from being ugly.
    I'll take one over alum anyday.

14. blehargh macrumors newbie

Sounds like the only thing that you use that will even tax the processor is iMovie.

Anyways, doesn't sound like you use it enough to significantly impact your time. I would say, buy the one you like better, the performance will be good enough on both machines for your uses.

GL,
    -don