MacBook 2.4 + World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Heart Break Kid, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

I know there are a few of you out there that have some knowledge about this. Im thinking about moving from my White 2.0 GHZ macbook to a 2.4 GHZ Unibody Macbook + 4GB RAM(from Fry's) + either an Intel or OCZ Solid State Drive. That is what I'm considering.

I was wondering how WoW:WoTLK runs on one of the new fancy Unibody Macbook's? With a stock 2.4 GHZ macbook, will I see a significant boost in performance over my old White 2.0 GHZ laptop? Will the performance rely more so on the RAM upgrade / SSD upgrade I have planned? What kind of FPS can I expect?

Im not purchasing this as a gaming machine, but Im certain that it will do everything else I need it to (web / email / office etc). Running WoW would just be icing on the cake.

Thanks!
    HBK

2. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

Personally, from what you've stated, I would just buy a seperate gaming console. Office/Web/Mail - you don't need a powerful machine for these kind of tasks.

You'd be better spending money on a proper gaming console.

My 2 cents worth.

3. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right. And I can totally appreciate that sentiment. Im happy with the gaming consoles I have right now. This is more for the moments where I'm either at work or away from home, and I just want to get in an hour or two of gaming :)

I don't expect it to replace my 360, or my desktop rig - but was just looking for something that wont explode on my lap while I'm running around Azeroth

4. fifthroot macrumors member

fifthroot

Not knowing how much RAM your old 2.0 whitebook has, you'll see a big improvement in framerate and graphical quality. This will be due to your GPU performance, an area in which older whitebooks can't compete with the new MacBooks running the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M.

I'm sure that processor speed will provide an additional benefit, but it will pale in comparison to the graphics boost and the 1066 MHz FSB.

Note: all the current MacBooks come with the 9400M, even the recently-updated whitebook.

5. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Common misconception is that SSD is faster than a HDD. In most cases this is not true. OCZ SSD looks like it has 80-100 MB/s transfer speed. SATA HDD are usually 1.5 GB/s or 3.0GB/s.

Your biggest bump for wow will be the new graphics card in the macbooks.

6. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Awesome :)

My current machine has 2GB RAM.

I think I'll go into the store and play with one a bit before I finally throw down the cash.

Thank you folks kindly for the input

7. air-ick macrumors member

air-ick

this statement is not entirely true. sata is rated at 1.5gb/s sata2 is 3.0gb/s. most ssd drives are sata2 so they have the same potential transfer speed. where an ssd beats a hdd is it's very fast seek times and read times. generaly write times are slower than reads.

just thought i'd add

Eric

8. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

You will get more FPS because:

Your MB Graphics Card <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< ALU MB Graphics Card