Macbook 2.4ghz (late 2008) 4gb ram problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by brotherben, Apr 9, 2009.

1. brotherben macrumors member

brotherben

I have a white MacBook 2.4 ghz and 2 1gb ram sticks. I bought today 2 2gb ram sticks to upgrade to a total of 4 gb ram.
    I know for a fact that this computer supports 4 gb of ram. But when I installed the 2 2gb ram sticks the computer did not turn on the little white light on the bottom right of the macbook stayed on and that was it. I tried 1 1gb stick and one 2gb stick and it works so the 2gb ram sticks are both not defective. I reset the pram, tried updating the firm ware and the frame ware but both said up-to date when I went to install them. So no luck.

I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else. And I was wondering what can I do to get the 4 gbs working.

thanks, Ben

btw the 2 2gb ram is PYN DDR2 PC2-5300 @ 667mhz

2. jshelton macrumors 6502a

I installed 2x2GB of Crucial DDR2 in my white 2.4ghz and it works great. It recognizes all 4GB.

Maybe the memory wasn't seated properly??? Try it again.

3. brotherben thread starter macrumors member

brotherben

I wish is was that simple, It's seated. I reinstalled the ram 5 times

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Certain RAM do not work in Macs. You need to get memory listed specifically for Macs.

In that case, 1 chip will work. but doesn't work with 2 chips due to some kind of conflict.

5. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

it's probably faulty RAM. That happens WAY too often. You can cut down on this if you buy from a reputable source. They know it happens, so they'll work with you to make it right.

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

More likely, Consultant is correct.

7. brotherben thread starter macrumors member

brotherben

4gigs woot:D

SO I took back the PYN ram and got some Corsair ram and it works. wow 4 gigs is fast, its like a new computer. So my guess is that apple does not support PYN because mine sure didn't.

:apple: I DON'T RECOMMEND PYN! FOR THOSE WHO VIEW THIS IN THE FUTURE.:apple:

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

This is completely without merit. You cannot blame PNY for your mistake. They make SO-DIMMs that work with Macs - you just didn't know what you were buying.

9. brotherben thread starter macrumors member

brotherben

I bought the right type of dimm for my macbook, only one stick of the 2gig combined with one original 1 gb stick would work so the ram worked just not the two 2 gigs together. and there is no way you can say that PYN is better than Corsair.

10. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

You're not the first (nor will you be the last, I'm afraid) to have this issue.

Can you tell me where I said PNY (please note the correct spelling) was better (or worse) than Corsair or any other brand? You should avoid making things up.

Had you bought this PNY memory it would have worked just fine for your MacBook.

11. brotherben thread starter macrumors member

brotherben

Sorry PNY :D
    Yes that is what it looks like.