macbook 2,4ghz vs. macbook pro 2,4ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by inotic, Oct 19, 2008.

1. inotic macrumors newbie

Hey,
    I'm making this thread since i cant seem to find an answer to what im looking for.
    I have already ordered the macbook but since its not getting delivered until 2 weeks from now im starting to get second thoughts, im not sure that its the right choice.

I was hoping to replace my windows pc and school windows laptop with a macbook (pro).

Before they announced the new models i was sure that i would buy a pro version when the new ones came out, but since the macbook came with better graphic card i thought it would be fine for my use.

I play a few games on my current pc, not much, but when i play i need it to run smooth and with decent details.
    The games i play is Counter-Strike: source, warcraft 3, and maybe a few newer games once in a while.

I thought the macbook would be able to handle counter-strike source and with no doubt also warcraft 3, but its hard to know how well it will perform.
    Have read some of the other threads that the 2,4ghz macbook can handle Team Fortress with 30-40fps or something like that, and that it runs just fine, but to me it seems kinda low, maybe i have high requirements, but my guess is that im not the only one?

When playing the macbook will be connected to an external display with a resolution of 1680*1050, and thats where i think the macbook will get in trouble with its integrated graphic card, where the pro might handle it better, though it still only have 256mb dedicated?

Have i made an mistake and need to place another order for the smallest macbook pro, or do you think i might be satisfied with the macbook?

Dont really have time to get the macbook first and try it out since i need it for school and my current laptop dont have much time late (Crashes alot)

If anyone understand what im asking for, and wouldnt mind to help i appreciate it.
    Please give a reason why i should buy what, instead of saying "pro is the way to go" or something like that.

(Hope i have made myself clear enough, despite my bad english)

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

You would be fine with the 2.0GHz MacBook. Going for the 2.4GHz is a waste of money.

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

There's no such thing as someone wasting their money if they see value in it. ;)

4. penq86 macrumors newbie

I think you should go with the pro model. If you want to play Counterstrike Source on a resolution of 1680*1050 on decent settings(high:D) the bottleneck would be the integrated graphic card. The GF9400 card is still a beast but I saw on heared this card preforms 50% less than GF8600 graphic card in the older Pro models(correct me if I'm wrong) .

hope this helps you, good luck with you decision ;)

5. inotic thread starter macrumors newbie

i dont mind paying the extra for the pro if it fits my needs better, since im gonna use it for atleast 3 years.
    It would be really annoying ending up buying a macbook and then wanting an upgrade within a year, since thats just not going to happen.

Suppose i might end up waiting another 3 weeks if i make a new order, but its worth the wait isnt it?:rolleyes: