Macbook -> 2 cinema displays

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnnyi, Jul 2, 2008.

1. johnnyi macrumors regular

2. johnnyi thread starter macrumors regular

3. ajthomason macrumors 6502

A sarcastic thread bump... just what we all need!

The item that you linked to would just split the image onto two monitors so they would show exactly the same thing. I have two Dell 2408WFP's (24") attached to my MacBook Pro using one of these:

http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0

It is probably both the best and only thing that will do what you want - well, it is the only thing that I could find that could have two 1920x1200 monitors running together. It works great, the only minor problem is all errors and dialogues open half on each monitor, but I am used to that now.

4. johnnyi thread starter macrumors regular

At least someone cares about me :cool:.Ha a nearly fell of my seat when the price popped up I was looking for something a bit cheaper thats nearly the price of one of the monitors

5. johnnyi thread starter macrumors regular

Any other suggestions or is that the only solution to my problem

6. ajthomason macrumors 6502

There are a couple of companies that offer USB cards to add another monitor, but they mostly don't support macs and their max rez is low, limited by the USB bandwidth. Try searching google for one and see what you come up with.

7. johnnyi thread starter macrumors regular

Yeh I read about those USB things somewhere but they are only available in America from what I have found.I was quite interested in them though just you not just buy a usb dock and connect them all to that and it would work

8. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

9. johnnyi thread starter macrumors regular

You are all going to kill me but i dont want a splitter with the picture split iIwant like one where it puts the picture onto 3 monitors and you can move documents about and have all monitors the same.If you get me

10. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

There might be a solution out there for you, but it seems to me you are asking to much out of your macbook's poor little integrated graphics;)

11. johnnyi thread starter macrumors regular

I am sorry but am I asking for too much out of a £1500 machine.Is it me I am going into Glasgow tomorrow so will pop into my local apple store and ask a good excuse to go into the apple store lol :p

12. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Do you have a Macbook, or a Macbook Pro? A Macbook could never power three LCDs, and if you somehow got them to work together, they'd be retardedly low resolution. A Macbook Pro though could handle it.

13. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

We're talking about a MacBook Pro, keep up.

OP I think the Dual Head2Go solution avoids display mirroring stretches the desktop over the two monitors. So it would treat the two 20" displays as one large unbroken 3360x1050 display? There is no less expensive solution - I don't know of many laptops with 2 x Dual-link DVI ports...

14. johnnyi thread starter macrumors regular

Yeh I dont want it like one big monitor I want it like 3 different monitors so the dock is on all 3 and have be able to drag things to different monitors

15. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

....? You can't have it both ways, either the displays are mirrored or extended. In extend mode you can move documents across screens but there is still a "main" screen with the dock and menu bar. In mirrored they will all display the same thing.

16. johnnyi thread starter macrumors regular

17. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Seems to play up its Windows functionality, you might want to check its OSX compatability is as extensive

18. johnnyi thread starter macrumors regular

Yeh I thought about that so I emailed them about it hopefully they will get back to me !

19. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

That won't work with a MBP for sure. The Macbook Pro has an express card slot while the product you linked to uses the older cardbus slot that used to be found on the powerbook G4's

This product from the same company would probably do what you want, although it isn't for sale yet, and might be quite expensive when it is available.