Macbook 2: m5 vs m7

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Quicklite, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Quicklite macrumors regular

I'm trying to get a sense if m7 upgrade is needed? The battery spec is probably based on m5. So are we expecting it to dent in the battery like the i7 did for Air?

2. Mac32 macrumors 6502a

Great question. Also, will the m7 CPU run noticably hotter than the m5?

3. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

This exact debate sprang up last year, and I seem to remember some clever-clogs explaining very convincingly that it is possible the 1.3 GHz is best for battery life, but that the difference between them from a battery and heat standpoint is negligible. Not sure if that holds true for Skylake, but I assume it does.

4. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

If I were going to use any computer daily, I'd get the best spec I could afford at the time I needed to purchase it. If you can swing the m7, do it, you might be second guessing the decision for the lifetime of the machine and have no ability to change it.

5. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

1.1ghz m3 - http://ark.intel.com/products/88198/Intel-Core-m3-6Y30-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-2_20-GHz
    1.2ghz m5 - http://ark.intel.com/products/88202/Intel-Core-m5-6Y54-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-2_70-GHz
    1.3ghz m7 - http://ark.intel.com/products/88199/Intel-Core-m7-6Y75-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz

model - base freq - turbo freq
    m3 - 900mhz - 2.2Ghz
    m5 - 1.1Ghz - 2.7Ghz
    m7 - 1.2Ghz - 3.1Ghz

This shows that Apple is slightly overclocking all the base frequencies. The m3 is receiving the largest overclock.

All 3 have the same TDP (4.5W) and configurable TDP-up (7W), but the m3 has a higher configurable TDP-down of 3.7W, whereas the m5 and m7 configurable TDP-down is 3.5W.

For these reasons, I would go with the m5 or m7.

Other differences I'm noticing:
    - The m7 GPU Max Dynamic Frequency is 1Ghz, vs 900mhz for the m5, and 850mhz for the m3.
    - The m7 has Intel vPro technology, the others do not.
    - The m7 has Intel TXS-NI, the others do not.
    - The m7 has Intel Stable Image Platform Program (SIPP), the others do not.
    - The m7 has Intel Trusted Execution Technology, the others do not.

None of this other stuff matters much at all. Thus, between the m5 and m7, I would save my money and go with the m5.

6. Emergo macrumors member

Um can you put that in laymans terms? I'd like to know how much the difference is for the average user.

7. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I did. See the lines that say "For these reasons, I would go with the m5 or m7" and "between the m5 and m7, I would save my money and go with the m5."

8. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

The only one that consumers may benefit from is TSX-NI, but it depends on the apps being used. If those apps are SMP aware, they will benefit from the performance it provides.

The rest of those are more appropriate to corporate environments. Not much value to the average consumer.

9. ffnc1020 macrumors member

Or if I don't care about storage, I can go with the 256GB + m7 which is $50 cheaper than the m5

10. Emergo macrumors member

But why? Just because it's faster?

11. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Agreed. But I would put it this way, for only $50 more, you can have half a terabyte of storage and basically the same CPU/GPU.

Not only because it is faster. I think the m5/m7 will be a tad more power efficient, which will result in better battery life and maybe lower temperatures. That said, with the numbers above, I think the difference is likely going to be almost too little to care. I don't want to make a huge prediction, but I'm confident that the difference probably won't matter at all to the average consumer. Overall, the 3 chips are practically the same.

At the lowest possible level of power usage, the m3 uses a tiny tiny bit more power than the m5/m7. Combine this with the fact that the m5/m7 are faster and can thus finish the job and get back down to the lower power usage sooner, I would think the m3 would result in slightly worse battery life (all other things being equal). Also, because the m3 base speed is overlocked the most (200mhz or 18%, compared to 100mhz and ~8% for the m5/m7), I would think the m3 might run at a slightly higher power usage than the other two, and also might be a tad hotter than the other two.

12. magbarn macrumors 68000

The performance difference between the m3 and m5 is going to be bigger this year than the last.

13. ffnc1020 macrumors member

Is it really that insignificant? What about solving ODEs in matlab and rendering videos using FCP? I really don't have much storage need, it's nice to have but I can live without it.

14. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

That is a very specific question - I'm just explaining what I see in the data sheets.

15. psymac macrumors 6502

It looks to me about a 15% advantage for about 15% price increase. That is worth it to me, as well as most likely a higher resale value.

16. ffnc1020 macrumors member

Haha, sorry about that. I guess I am just tying to understand what those differences between m5 and m7 you pointed out will mean in real life use.

17. magbarn macrumors 68000

How do you even pick the m7 cpu? I'm trying to build a rMB on Apple's website and I only get to pick the storage options...

18. rixard macrumors member

rixard

when you have added the macbook to the shopping basket you'll get the option to go for the 1.3 m7.

19. Quicklite thread starter macrumors regular

Very fine laptop - gonna wait until WWDC - Intel 580 graphics with 72 EUs (instead of 24 here) sounds promising.

20. asoksevil macrumors 6502

256 GB seems a solid drive for my girlfriend's needs. How does the M3 weight against the M7? As the only option on the 256 GB size I am more inclined to take the M3 if there aren't real world differences (browsing, opening photos, word processing, etc)

21. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Oddly enough the 1.1 outperformed the 1.3 in a lot of real world test last year. There are threads on the forums about it. I doubt that will be the case this go around, but it would make me hesitant to upgrade.

22. in Cider macrumors member

in Cider

Would be interesting to see if the GPUs actually hit and run at their max, and if the m7 would be roughly 10% faster in games than the m5.

23. PTLove macrumors 6502

Id be shocked. Most likely this throttles down both the CPU and the GPU to much lower levels. Its very hard to believe it sustains 900mhz GPU in 8 watts. The 15Watt Core I5's used in the Macbook Air and Dell XPS 13 usually end up around ~500mhz on consistent load, and thats with an extra 7 watts.

24. asoksevil macrumors 6502

25. glindon macrumors regular

glindon