Macbook 2006+3.5mm mic?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Hamsterz, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Hamsterz macrumors member

Hey guys! Im a internet DJ (I just got my first shoutcast server with 1k slots :p) and I got a nice, fancy expensive mic today. Its 3.5mm jack, my macbook has one of course. I plugged it in, all happy about my purchase, and the deal I snagged, and it doesnt work. No sound comes out of it.

Im 99% positive is not the mic, and its the computer. Any tips?

2. patrixl macrumors regular

IIRC, the audio in port on the Macbook isn't powered, so if your mic isn't powered then you won't get sound from it.

Patrix.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Did you use the right port?

[​IMG]

Did you take a look at System Preferences > Sound > Input?

[​IMG]

What software are you using to record from the microphone? Is the input set correctly?

What Mac OS X version do you run?

Is the microphone powered on? (Even though 3.5mm doesn't have phantom power...)

4. Hamsterz thread starter macrumors member

Would it work on a mac
    pro?

thats the main reason I bought it, once a week or so I use a mac pro.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Most likely not. Doesn't has the microphone some internal, switchable battery, which can be powered on?

As far as I know, only XLR ports are good enough to transfer enough power to the microphone (48V), as the smaller TRS connector only supports up to 5V.

6. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

Make sure you are using the correct imput device in system pref->sound->input

1) Switching to a MacPro isn't going to solve your problem.

2)It obviously isn't a fancy mic if it uses 3.5mm. You should return it and buy a usb mic if you want plug and play goodness (blue snowball or rode podcaster are high quality). If you are looking for a pro sounding mic you should go with a studio condenser or in the specific case of the Heil PR40 a dynamic mic that uses a XLR connection and record through an external device like the M-Audio FastTrack Pro.