Macbook 2006 Core Duo Max RAM question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by huntert93, Nov 8, 2010.

1. huntert93 macrumors newbie

I have a 2006 Macbook with a "Core Duo" processor. When I got it, one of the RAM slots was busted, so I put a 1gb stick in the working one to add a little speed. My question is, since the maximum RAM in this model macbook is 2gb, would it be possible to install a single 2gb stick into the working slot? Has anyone tried this?

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

3. movieboy23 macrumors regular

It will definitely work and I have tried this configuration on CD MBs in the past. The relative performance boost of the upgraded RAM will be less than if you had the RAM divided into 2 x 1GB sticks, but the computer will still register the 2GB stick and allocate memory appropriately.

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Are you sure they were Core Duo MacBooks ?

Anytime I have tried to put a 2GB chip in one it won't start up - no POST.

I thought the maximum per slot was 1GB - if one slot is busted then you are stuck with 1GB ram......

5. dhux86, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010

dhux86 macrumors newbie

Did anyone find an answer to this question? I am wondering the same thing.

This article seems to suggest that you can put 2GB in one slot, but most other sites seem to suggest that you can't. Has anyone had any experience with this?

6. dhux86 macrumors newbie

Nevermind, I decided to try it for myself. It works! I successfully put 2GB of RAM in a single slot on my MacBook core duo. :)