Macbook 2006 taking over 30 mintues to load up ...?!?!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Hamsterz, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Hamsterz macrumors member

Hello everyone. I have a macbook 2006 with the following specs:
    Superdrive
    2.0 GHz
    1 Gig of ram
    80 gig hard drive

I know I need a new computer, I do Photoshop work yadda yadda yada but thats not important. I tried to start up my computer, twice. On the third time, I cleared the PR ram and left it alone for 30 minutes or so, and it finally turned on. Its the only computer thats less then 12 years old in the house. Ill have to go through all of the speed up your mac checklists, but other then that, have any ideas? Upgrading ram is not an option. It costs money D=

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

You might want to check your Login Items (System Preferences/Accounts) to see if there's any unnecessary apps starting when you startup your computer. Also, if you are using more than about 70GB of that hard drive, you may want to trim some of the data to give you at least 10-15GB free to have ample swap space. -GDF

3. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

If all else fails reinstall OSX fresh.
    Add ram.
    Get a newer faster HDD.

If you haven't did a clean format in over a year I would consider doing that. A format once every year-2 is good practice to keep things running smoothly.

4. CSilver macrumors 6502

If you haven't found a solution yet, try popping in the apple hardware test dvd that came with the macbook. My macbook just recently been acting weird and so I tried that dvd. Found an one error related to Hard drive I think. The hard drive I upgraded 2~3 weeks ago :(

Good luck on your research :apple:

5. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

the 1gig of ram is most likely the problem
    if you have too many apps starting up when you turn on your computer it will slow down your comp terribly especially if you don't have enough ram to support all those apps.
    your mac doesn't even have 1gig for running mac osx because about 100mb goes to your integrated gpu.
    it is extremely cheap to upgrade your ram to 2 gig, and in your case it will be worth it.

6. Hamsterz thread starter macrumors member

I decided just to go ahead and upgrade to something else! anyways, I didnt have anything on startup and after alot of cleanup of caches etc I was able to slim it down to 3 minutes or so. :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple: