Macbook 2006 vs 2008

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rory.reilly, Dec 4, 2011.

1. rory.reilly, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011

rory.reilly macrumors newbie

I have decided to buy a used Mac for school as my school uses them and I see no point in saving up for a brand new €1000 laptop that will only be used for a few years then thrown out/sold at a much lower price when I want buy a new MPB for college. I am stuck between two options. I am buying them from a local Apple reseller which also sells used Macs. I'm in 2nd year in Ireland which is 8th grade in America. My parents said I could get one if I got straight A's in my summer exams (which I did) and if I funded it myself. I would be using it for writing essays, doing presentations and some light iLife/Final cut pro x (very light)/ and some Photoshop

1. Used White Macbook Late 2006
    1.83ghz processor
    80gb hard drive
    1gb RAM
    PLUS external hard drive
    2 year warranty from store
    €399

2. Used Black Macbook Early 2008
    2.4ghz processor
    250gb hard drive
    2gb RAM
    PLUS 1 year warranty from store and iWork
    €550

So what do you think. Personally I don't really like the look of the black but I don't want to change my mind simply on aesthetics or I would be just fulfilling the stereotype. What do you think should I get the white MacBook and use the money I saved to upgrade the RAM or suck it up and buy the black and possibly upgrade RAM in future?

2. simsaladimbamba

Definitely the 2008 version, as it can go up to 6 GB of RAM and the CPU and integrated graphics processor (IGP) is much better, especially for you use. The 101 € difference totally make up for the faster 2008 MB.

I had one and sold it some months ago for 600 € and it was a very good machine, but I needed the money and also the screen resolution is a bot small.

3. rory.reilly thread starter macrumors newbie

The BlackBook is probably the best bet, so I'll save up the extra 100 and buy a hard case for it so the matte lid doesn't show up the fingerprints

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

eh, I used to have a blackbook and it was totally fine without a case

5. adamtj11 macrumors 6502

2nd one by far, it isn't even close , the Core 2 Duo in the BlackBook is much superior to the 06 MacBook , also the graphics will be better, bigger Hard Drive , and a newer machine less likely to break down.

----------

If you are going to save up 100 to get a case for a 3 year old computer(650 overall), you would be best going for a refurbished Air/Unibody White MacBook from 740 euro or something around that price.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC506LL/A

Its the american store, but the Irish store regularly gets updated with these MacBook Airs, just some food for thought :)

6. rory.reilly thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm that's another good idea, the reseller also has some leftover stock of the unibody going for €800 which is a bit out of my budge after adding RAM and other costs such as software. I think I'll get the BlackBook for now as an air won't suit my needs and a unibody MacBook is too expe

7. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Get the black macbook you will never regret and most probably will keep it for a long time.

I upgraded mine to 4GB ram and 120GB SSD, its quick given the age of the machine.

8. rory.reilly thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem solved

Turns out I don't need either of these, I bought my neighbours aluminium iMac for €600

9. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Only problem with the late 07 and early 08 MacBook's was that they had possibly the worst display ever included on a laptop.

10. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

An air (2010-2011) will fill your needs a lot better than the blackbook, unless you need a lot of storage space.
    edit: sorry I didn't see you already bought one.
    But I thought you needed a laptop, otherwise there was also the cheap option of a mac mini. But the iMac is great too, no laptop though

11. rory.reilly thread starter macrumors newbie

I was originally all for a laptop, but my school have finally started letting students use the MacBook pros instead of just teachers so if I need to present something I can use them instead