macbook 2006 white frames per second problems

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dogboy122, Jul 12, 2012.

1. dogboy122 macrumors member

my white macbook has been through alot (it is used) but i have noticed some bad fps issues when playing games, i first noticed this when i decided to go back to playing team fortress 2, the game ran great but only for about 8 minutes, then the fps will drop to about 6 and become unplayable, i have also noticed this with the spore creature creator demo. i installed istat pro, and it wouldn't show my heatsink temps, none of these issues are happening with a macbook the EXACT same specs and model, is something broken in my macbook, or do i just need to clean the fans?:(

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The computer appears to be throttling itself to prevent overheating. Does the fan turn on? It may be time to clean it.

3. dogboy122 thread starter macrumors member

the fan does turn on, the average speed is 62000 RPM, i don't know why istat pro can't read my heat sink temp , it can read it on another macbook of the same model however, just not mine.:confused:

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Does the fan stay at that speed? The Macbook may have a faulty or disconnected heatsink sensor.

5. dogboy122 thread starter macrumors member

that is the average fan speed when playing a game, however i can barely feel the fan blowing, the CPU average heat is 60 degrees celsius and 142 degrees fahrenheit, could the whole heat sink itself be damaged, and not just the sensor?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It sounds like the fan and heatsink are working correctly and are not damaged. My guess, is a dirty fan/heatsink.

7. dogboy122 thread starter macrumors member

will try cleaning out the fan and see if that helps, i hope my GPU isn't damaged.

8. dogboy122 thread starter macrumors member

why would the cpu be throttling back if the temp is normal?.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

When the temperatures are normal it doesn't throttle its highest available frequency. When it nears its Tjmax, then it starts to. This also cases the GPU to start to jump as it shares the heatpipe with the CPU. If the heatpipe has to much heat to remove, the GPU will start to throttle itself. This is because the GPU is at the far end of the heatpipe with the CPU closest to the heatsink portion.

10. dogboy122 thread starter macrumors member

ok i see now, i am pretty sure i just need to clean the fan. glad nothing is damaged.:)

11. dogboy122, Jul 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012

dogboy122 thread starter macrumors member

checked it again, and no it's not fixed, i cleaned the fan too, i have no idea what is causing this, i can't buy a new computer.

12. dogboy122 thread starter macrumors member