Macbook 2007 - battery draining after shutdown

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mattbm, Apr 25, 2013.

1. mattbm macrumors newbie

For last 2 days I've experienced really weird behaviour of a1185 battery in 2007 Macbook Black. Fully charged battery drains from 100% to ~60% after I turn off my MB (complete shutdown) and turn it on few hours later. The strange is the fact, that in sleep mode everything is ok, battery drops maybe 1-2%.
    It has 43 cycles, "condition: normal". In addition I discovered that my magsafe is probably broken because indicator light sometimes turns off or the battery is not charging - shaking the adaptor brick helps, but is it possible that defective magsafe caused this weird draining I described above?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sounds like it may not be fully shutting down. You may have a runaway process that doesn't die when you try to shut down. Try resetting the SMC. You might also try pressing and holding the power button for 5-10 seconds until it powers off, to make sure it's off. It won't drain the battery like that if it's truly shut down.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. simsaladimbamba

Since it only has 43 cycles in four or five years, which means there was less than one cycle completed in a month, the battery is probably dying or reporting false information, as it has not been properly used.

• BATTERY INFORMATION
    • BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE
    • AC POWER
    • CALIBRATION
    • BATTERY LIFESPAN
    • CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH
    • CHARGING
    • WHAT IS A CYCLE?
    • BATTERIES ARE NOT COVERED
    • BULGING OR SWELLING BATTERY

4. mattbm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for answers. Battery is few months old. Usually one or two cycles per week.
    I doubt it's not fully shutting down - everything is turned off, no lights, no sounds from MB, power button normally launches Macbook with grey apple screen at start - looks like always. I'd reseted smc, but didn't help.

I believe that magsafe is (partially) broken and probably need replacement - now that's my only clue - but I have no idea if adaptor causes battery issues, battery needs replacement too or maybe something's wrong with mac hardware (I hope it's not). Unfortunately there's no genius bar in my country.