macbook (2007) hard drive failure + data loss

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cacira, May 14, 2009.

1. cacira macrumors newbie

Hi Dear All!

My macbook´s harddrive died yesterday. My laptop is even not 2 years old... Is it something common with macbooks?

I think I am a caring + careful user. Now I want to search for my rights. I bought it through internet. I live in Sweden. Where can I report this?

And another crucial thing is I need my data back! I don´t have backup for everything :( But data recovery prices are crazy... Any solution suggestions???

Thanks from now

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Suggestions? Treat this as a lesson. It's nothing to do with Macbooks. Harddrives fail. All the time. You should have everything backed up from day one as the drive could fail the next hour. Sorry to be harsh but that's life.

Unless Swedish law is very odd you will have no comeback in terms of your data: that is and always was your responsibility.

3. cacira thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, that was hars but right... Thank you for the quick reply. I know I should have done copies. Backup backup backup!!! I have several friends using mac without any problems for years and years. I am sad now...

Anyway can you recommend a hard drive brand? Seagate, western digital, Hitachi, ...? The old one was 120GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm. Can I replace it with 250 or 500GB hard drive? Would it force the computer?

Seagate Momentus 7200.4 / 500GB / SATAII / 7200rpm
    SATA II, 500 GB, 7200 varv/min, 2.5"

Western Digital 250GB / IDE / 7200rpm
    IDE, 250 GB, 7200 varv/min, 3.5

Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 500GB / SATAII / 7200rpm
    SATA II, 500 GB, 7200 varv/min, 3.5"

With the following configuration:
    Processor2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
    Optical DriveSuperdrive 8x

4. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

No point in going for a 7200 in a notebook in my opinion, the speed increase is negligible and it will be noisier and hotter as a by-product.

Any of those brands are fine.

You'd be better off buying a 320Gb and another 320Gb for an external drive and use it for Time Machine! ;)

5. apeacock macrumors member

I agree on the 7200 - I have one in my first gen macbook and can't tell that big a difference, except for the spin up noice and vibration.

I'm also a big proponent of off-site backup - there are lots of options, including Mozy (probably the most popular, $5/mo for unlimited space) and JungleDisk (which I personally use, $.15/gb/mo plus transfer fees + $20 one time). Both of those services give a lot of peace of mind - your data is safe from basically everything except the apocalypse. External hard drives protect against the most common failure (crashes), but not the extreme oncs - fire, flood, theft, lighting, etc. Depending on how valuable your data is to you, an off-site backup can be an extremely good investment.

6. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

If you have AppleCare, apple should give you a new hard drive for free if you bring it in.

7. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

You do not get any rights, unless you have AppleCare. Hard drives are very easy to replace in MacBooks, but as for the data on it, if it is that important to you, use a data recovery service.

If it isn't, but you would like to get the data off for the hell of it, try some tricks, like putting the hard drive in a freezer, and then use an EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE CABLE, to connect it via USB. DO NOT PUT THE FROZEN HARD DRIVE IN THE MACBOOK! I REPEAT, DO NOT PUT IT IN THE MACBOOK! This method worked for me, as I was able to get data off the drive for the few hours it worked again, and then, I put all of the information on the new drive, and it worked great.