MacBook 2007 - Need Help Regarding Water Damage

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DomTom, Jan 8, 2012.

1. DomTom macrumors newbie

Back in august my macbook was declared beyond economical repair after a spillage that led it to be water damaged. Since, it has been on a shelf. Today I wanted to sell it for parts.

Out of curiosity, I plugged the macbook in the mains (without the battery). The green light came on, and I couldn't believe it but the laptop powered up. It made the noise, displayed the little apple logo and started booting.

I told my housemate straight away and he tilted the laptop and it immediately switched off, and I haven't been able to turn it back on again.

Is my macbook alive? Can I fix it? I know its difficult to tell without showing you pictures, but does anyone have any experience like this?

I rang the apple store, they don't want to touch it because its water damaged and is a health hazard.

2. DomTom thread starter macrumors newbie

i've taken it apart again, wiped it and plugged the keyboard back in, it works! where can i get a cheap laptop battery? don't want to splash out £100 on a genuine battery

3. 808? macrumors 6502a

Had you tried the dry rice trick to absorb all the moisture from inside your Mac?

4. DomTom thread starter macrumors newbie

the waters completely dried, i've had the laptop powered on now for about an hour. or do you mean for the battery?

wrt the battery, on ebay i can get a genuine battery with 180 cycles and 89% health, is that ok? it seems like pretty poor health but for £30 might be better than a fake?