Macbook (2007) plastic peeling/cracking?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by f1d, Jun 4, 2009.

1. f1d macrumors member

Hi guys,

Wondering if you can help me.

I've had a Macbook Black for just under 2 years now (AppleCare runs until August 2010) and recently I've noticed some bits of plastic around the edge of the base... seeming to "peel" or "crack" and come off!

A quick google and I found some pics to show you what I mean:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does anyone know why this has happened, or if Apple can do anything about it (i.e. replace the plastic around the edge)?

One bit came off, so I left it. Then another bit and now it looks like a third is doing it - I'm not waiting until the whole lot comes off!

I've no idea why, I have looked after my Macbook (it cost £1300 in total back when I bought it, 1/3 of my car!) and when not being used it's kept in my case. For about a year and a half, it's just been sat on my desk used as my main computer. Now I sometimes take it into work (stored in the neopreene sleeve from the apple store).

Any ideas/advice?

Cheers!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Searching around will pull up 1,123,842 threads on this issue, and they'll all tell you that Apple will replace the case free of charge :)

4. jAuriya macrumors newbie

How about if the warranty has expired? (August last year ;/)

I found a law (Sweden) that allows me to get it fixed (under 3 years since buying it) if I can prove it's a manufacturer (so Apple's) fault..but how do I prove that?

Sorry, didn't think I should make new thread for this since this one looks new, and there probably already is over nine thousand topics about this.

5. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Apple is replacing the top case for this issue even with out of warranty MacBooks, because it's a known issue.

Per Kbase TS1964/REP.

Just bring it into the Apple Store and they'll take care of it.

6. jAuriya macrumors newbie

Wow, very quick reply!

Thanks :) I will go to the nearest Apple Store this week then!

7. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

Please let us know how it happend :)

8. jAuriya macrumors newbie

How it happened?

Actually, I have no idea. I'm a game programmer so I do nothing more but go to school and program after school. I don't take the macbook to school either so how it happened is beyond me. I treat this thing like my baby as I had to save up a lot to get it. :/

But I'll also post how it all went. I'm planning to get it to the nearest Apple Store next week Friday.

9. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

I'm sorry my english is not very good, i meant how it is going to be at the apple store :D if they will replace it without questions or anything! :D

10. jAuriya macrumors newbie

Haha its okay, I gave both possibilities an answer just incase. ;p

I'll definitely post here about what happens. :)

11. nathan1281 macrumors member

One of my family members had a early macbook (white) and she just sent if off. The main reason she sent if off was because the hard drive stopped working and she asked if they would fix all the cracks in the case as well. They replaced the hard dive with a larger hard drive and fixed all the cracks. She had some on the bottom near the back where the vents are. They replaced the bottom and top of her computer. Looks brand new! She also had purchased the 3 yr warranty. It was still inside the warranty time.

Good Luck!