Macbook 2007 - Prohibitory Sign when Installing OS X

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mrstechsales, Oct 19, 2013.

1. mrstechsales macrumors newbie

Hi

I am hoping someone out here might be able to help and end my frustration. I bought 12 Working Macbook Computers off of a client of mine. All of them were in excellent working condition but the hard drives were wiped. In the past, I would make a bootable USB of OS X and install it and everything would go great.

When I am trying to do that today, I keep getting the File Folder with the ? And then the Prohibitory Sign. I have tried installing both Lion and Mountain Lion. Based off the serial number this model should be able to support those as it is a 2007 Model.

Can someone please offer me some help or advice on how to get these up and running. Thanks!

2. MeUnix macrumors 6502

For Mountain Lion: You're getting that message because the 2007 MacBook's are not compatible with OS X Mountain Lion.

For OS X Lion, the MacBook's need these requirements:
    An Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
    7 GB of available disk space
    2 GB of RAM

It may be that the MacBook's are not meeting one of the requirements for OS X Lion.

You can also try re-making a bootable OS X Lion USB using Lion DiskMaker.

And if that doesn't work, you can purchase OS X Snow Leopard from Apple.

3. ChrisMacBookPro macrumors newbie

2007 MacBook on 10.4.11

I have a similar problem. I'm trying to upgrade my mother's MacBook pro from 10.4.11 to 10.6.3. The MacBook doesn't have a DVD drive.

Someone said I could insert the install disk on my 2013 MacBook Pro and then install the OS to a backup drive, then start the MacBook from the backup drive and do another install to the MacBook.

However, my new MacBook Pro is running Mountain Lion and won't run the install app. I copied the items on the install disk to the backup drive and plugged that into the MacBook, but got the error message that "the application cannot be used from this volume...use the application provided on the Mac OS x installation disk".

Before I tried this Apple chat said to get a SuperDrive, which I did, but it doesn't work on the 10.4.11 system.

This all started because I bought my mother a new printer and didn't notice the requirement was 10.5.4.

Woud appreciate any suggestions.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Put the Snow Leopard disc in your new Macbook Pro and put it into Target Disk Mode, then connect it to your old Macbook and boot the old Macbook from the Snow Leopard disc. Make sure you install Snow Leopard to the correct hard drive.

5. ChrisMacBookPro macrumors newbie

Thanks. I'll try that.