MacBook (2007) screen black after restart/update

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MrRadich, Sep 11, 2010.

1. MrRadich macrumors newbie

Hi all I hope you can help me.

I have a MacBook C2D 2GHz, 4gigs of ram from mid 2007. It has snow leo v. 10.6.4.

I cant remember when the problem appeared but maybe 6 months ago.

Every time the mac is rebootet or shutdown the screen goes black the sleep light stays on but I can hear the chime and cd drive make shot start up sound.

After a normal boot up time the screen comes on but its all white/greyish with a black stripe down in the right side and stays like this.
    If i hold down the power button to power off at hit it again the same thing happens.

The way I fix it is to power off, take out the battery for about 10 sec. put it back in and hold two fingers on the trackpad and power on, and it works, but this time today it took me 7 atempts before it worked.

I live in denmark so the macstores aren't around the corner.

Before I take it all the way to a macstore and have them look at it, do you guys have some thoughts on it?

2. MrRadich thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Detrius macrumors 68000

Sounds like a bad LCD. Your two-finger boot gesture is just superstition. Simply having fingers on the trackpad in no way will affect how the machine boots.

I suspect your machine boots just fine and is running. If you give it a chance to boot, you'll be able to change the volume. If you connect an external monitor, you should get a picture.

It's the vertical stripe that gives it away. Pinching around the edges of the screen may actually make a difference. If *anything* changes, it's a bad LCD (e.g. the size of the vertical black stripe).

BTW, I almost skipped this thread because it had been replied to. Bumping doesn't always get the desired result. :p