MacBook 2007 SSD + RAM questions?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MasterMacBook, Jun 22, 2012.

1. MasterMacBook macrumors member

Hey,
    I have decided that instead of buying a new macbook, I will upgrade my current one from late 2007, as all I use it for is music / watching videos.

Specs are - MacBook 3,1 Late 2007,
    - 2.2Ghz, 4Gb, 120Gb HDD
    - Snow Leopard 10.6.8
    - [Battery]
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 4493
    Health Information: Cycle count: 543
    Condition: Normal

-----

I am looking to put a 128/256gb SSD in my macbook, to replace the current 120gb hdd. Yes I want to keep my optical drive, please dont say have both, I simply want to take out the HDD and put the SSD in. Yes I know I need to carbon copy clone it etc:)

I want to know what are the best deals/brands of SSD to get, specs of my "SATA" I think it is called? If someone could link me to releveant SSD or just the "type" of SSD to get I will search as well for best prices. Also I need to get a external enclosure kit and stuff as well I think.

Intel ICH8-M AHCI:

Vendor: Intel
    Product: ICH8-M AHCI
    Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit
    Negotiated Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit
    Description: AHCI Version 1.10 Supported

Also, I have 4gb RAM installed from OWC, but on their site now it says my macbook can support 6GB RAM, (4gb,2gb). Is this in fact correct, anyone else use this 6gb setup, big improvement, definitely works etc etc?

Thanks in advance!

Dan.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, your MacBook can use up to 6GB.

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-2.2-black-13-late-2007-santa-rosa-specs.html

You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

3. MasterMacBook thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

So I am thinking these are acceptable, thoughts? This SSD will work on my MB 3,1?

SSD Kit - http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/YSSDMP120/
    RAM - http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/5300DDR2S6GP/

Good or ney?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, both should work fine.

5. berone macrumors member

Take a look at this package: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/YSSD6E120/
    It's $10 more and includes the external enclosure you said you need (I have that enclosure. It's one of my favorites). It's also a 6g drive. That will be of absolutely no benefit on your current machine, as your machine has SATA I. So both the 3g and 6g drives will run at the SATA I speed. But your next computer will likely have a SATA III controller and the faster drive will benefit when you put it in there. That's the strategy I'm taking with upgrading my wife's machine, which is the same as yours.

6. MasterMacBook thread starter macrumors member

Okay thanks, nice logic I didnt think of the future macbook when I eventually get it. So its a SATA3 SSD but will still run on my SATA1 interface I take it.

Also, I have been reading threads on here about TRIM and firmware for SSDs, do I need to worry about this for the one you just linked or it will be fine?

Ordering RAM+SSD on wed after paycheck ahah :)

7. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

As your running snow leopard,it doesn't support "trim" you would need lion or upcoming mountain lion (mountain lion won't install on your 2007 macbook)

8. MasterMacBook thread starter macrumors member

So an SSD wouldnt work, or would? or what? Does TRIM have to be able to work to run an SSD?

9. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

i have same model macbook...ssd run's great,i use osx snow leopard with no trim support (no issue for me)