Macbook 2008 Aluminium Issues...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Gli.Azzuri, May 14, 2011.

1. Gli.Azzuri, May 14, 2011
    Last edited: May 14, 2011

Gli.Azzuri macrumors member

Hi just a few issues which have recently popped up with my 2008 Macbook Aluminium Model (2.0ghz C2D). Wondering if anybody else experiences same or similar..? (Also note it was purchased about 2 years ago).

-Trackpad unresponsive. Cannot drag and click at the same time (e.g. dragging a file into a folder can't be done).
    -'Spinning wheel of death' when opening a few tabs in safari, becomes unresponsive and prompts to restart computer.
    -Dramatic loss of battery. Went from about 80% capacity compared to what it was designed to do, now dropped to 26% capacity and needs charging at least every half hour from apple's claimed four hours, on cycle count 234/400 (slightly over halfway of the intended cycles.)

Help, other issues, comments? All is appreciated, I do not own AppleCare so I'm really stuck as this is my only laptop and my LIFE is stored on this machine.

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

You need a new trackpad/topcase.

You need a new hard drive ASAP. You could lose your data if you don't act fast.

You need a new battery. The intended charge cycle amount on that computer is 300, not 400. Also, 234 out of 400 is over half.

3. Gli.Azzuri thread starter macrumors member

How do i go about doing this? Also I love Apple and all, but did they not design this computer intending for consumers to get at least 3 years use out of it?

4. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Do you have funds to support the purchase of a new MacBook/Pro? I would recommend having Apple do the work, but this can be expensive. If you have the funds, I would recommend getting a MacBook Pro and get AppleCare.

If you don't have the funds, and you really want to fix it yourself, I will find all the links to instructions and parts to fix the MacBook.

5. Tharian macrumors regular

My $0.02. I had the same trackpad issues this weekend, and took my MacBook into the genius bar. Mine is covered under AppleCare, but on the work authorization the charge quoted was roughly $85 for the new trackpad. In other words, that's probably about how much it would cost for an out-of-warrenty replacement.

I hope this helps when considering how to proceed.

-d

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Hard drives are hard drives and batteries are batteries, Apple uses pretty standard tech for these components.

At least hard drives are cheap, you can get a 500GB drive for under $60. It's easy to get to on the 2008 models but I believe you need a small torx bit to actually swap it out. You can get a compatible USB cable to hook up your old hard drive and copy the files over after you install the new one, or you could clone onto the new drive before you do the swap.

Just as a comparison I also have a 2008 aluminum Macbook, purchased in Feb '09 from the refurb store. Currently reporting 254 cycles and 96% capacity. Have you tried doing a battery calibration?

7. tbl macrumors member

tbl

Perhaps I was very fortunate, but when I had some battery problems earlier this year, Apple swapped out my battery for free on-the-spot at the Genius Bar without AppleCare.

8. wha macrumors newbie

Don't be a fool, backup your data. Especially since your hard drive may be failing.

The hard drive and battery are trivial to install if you would like to do it yourself. Replacing the trackpad is quite easy as well.

9. Gli.Azzuri thread starter macrumors member

How would I go about doing this? Also tysm for the responses, considering all of them.

10. wha macrumors newbie

11. bruds23 macrumors newbie

for your trackpad go in to system Preferences, go to trackpad open it ,set your settings,or you might have to reistalled the drives,i had to set my settings,,,,,,
    for your battery if you have the icon up in your tool bar ,click on it ,if it says replace battery,or you may have a bad battery,you have to replace it ,i did,hope this help,did you update to a newer OS X,i have Mountain Lion,it so fast,ok

----------

also ,go get a storage drive,it great for storing your stuff on ,then you can take off the stuff on your laptop,it get you more space on your laptop,i did,i keep a min. on it,it a good idea