Macbook 2008 Display problems

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sfkickz, Mar 9, 2010.

1. sfkickz macrumors newbie

Recently, like yesterday, my screen started to become erratic and freak out. It would last for a while. I finally figured out that if I shifted the screen, the display would display normally. What happens to the screen is that it goes white with a whole bunch of skinny black horizontal lines going across the screen all the way up and down the screen. You can make out some enlarged words and parts of the windows that were opened when the screen was normal. I can sometimes replicate the display error by pressing and slightly bending the screen holding. What's going on?

2. Pax macrumors 6502a

Probably a bad connection between screen and logic board, or something wrong within the panel itself. The connection cable runs through the hinge. I'm afraid it could be quite expensive to fix - it's quite a big job to take all the guts out of the Mac to get at the hinge, plus parts.

Someone on here might have more info on how to fix it.

3. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Are the lines going horizontal or are they going up and down the screen? Can you post a picture?

4. sfkickz thread starter macrumors newbie

i can't post pictures because i think its a problem with the hardware not a software problem. Actualy, I'll try and take one with my cellphone next time it happens. I can't navigate the screen with the problem.
    To answer your question, they are horizontal.

5. sfkickz thread starter macrumors newbie

6. celticpride678

7. sfkickz thread starter macrumors newbie

i adjusted the screen forward and the problem stopped, so i dont think the card itself is gone.

8. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

If that's the case, it could be just a pinched cable. Time to take apart it apart and check out the cables.

9. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

I always used to blame the cables, but that issue has been the screen 100% of the time.

The cable going to the inverter board from the motherboard has a very pathetic connector. However, the display data cable takes a lot of work to **** up.

I know it makes sense to assume it is the cable if it changes as you move it, but keep in mind there are millions of transistors in a screen and the base voltage of each transistor is adjusted by sort of waveform that triggers each transistor in a vertical or horizontal line. My understanding of this is totally limited, but it explains the manner in which these defects occur.

Point being, don't count the idea of it being a bad display out. I'd almost hope it was the display since I much prefer replacing the display to the procedure of replacing the display cable. It's a much bigger pain in the ass!

10. sfkickz thread starter macrumors newbie

Im not a very big computer guy,
    should I just take it into some sort of mac repair store (im out of warranty and as far as i know, you can't get another one) and explain the problem? see wat they can do?

11. Pax macrumors 6502a

Yes

You might want to call round and email a few with the photo of the lines. Most importantly tell them what makes the lines come and go (as you press on the display).

If you can give them a very clear set of symptoms, they will be able to diagnose what's wrong and give you a clear quote to fix it. Hopefully you will just need a new cable which is a cheap part, though the labour might be $$$$

12. sfkickz thread starter macrumors newbie

So, it's gotten progressively worse.
    Now, it happens more often. I find that adjusting it forward/backward a lil bit won't solve the problem sometimes. Sometimes, i need to move it way back or forward and after moving it back, it will continue

13. Pax macrumors 6502a

Sounds more and more like it's the cable. Hopefully it will be a cheap fix

14. sfkickz thread starter macrumors newbie

well, i took into a mac store.
    guy seemed to dismiss the cable theory, but he humored me and opened up the computer, and cleaned and reinserted the cable. unfortunately, the problem is still persisting...
    any ideas? he seems to think it's the screen but he didn't seem to know much about my generation of macbooks since they're so new.