Macbook 2008 Woes, help?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shaziath, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Shaziath macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I have a 2008 MBP, I bought it a few months before the unibody upgrade. The LCD screen cracked last winter (not sure how, it was in a case at the time) and I was afraid to bring it to the genius bar because I though they'd void my warranty 'cause they don't cover physical damage. There's no scuffs or anything on the laptop so it's pretty clear I didn't drop it.

Well, now I have another problem: it won't boot at all.

So, I'm wondering if I should bring the laptop into the bar anyway. I still have 2 months left on my warranty, and I believe the logic board failure is something they should repair but I don't know about the LCD. Also, I'm not sure if I have everything backed up, so what are the odds they'd help me out by letting me connect the HDD to another computer (assuming the HDD is fine)? The battery is dead too of course ;).

Suggestions? Should I get the LCD fixed via powerbookmedic or something, then bring the laptop to the bar, or would it hurt just to bring it in to a local apple store?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

It wouldn't hurt to take it to an Apple store. The worst they can say is no. The best that can happen is that the fix the screen free of charge. Im also sure Apple won't mind backing up your data to. Like I say I would go in and speak to them.

3. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

I would take it in they will probably say the screen is not covered but fix the logicboard anyway.

4. Shaziath thread starter macrumors newbie