MacBook 2009 (Late) Mousepad stopped clicking

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by absolutic, Jan 7, 2011.

1. absolutic macrumors regular

Hi. I did a research on apple boards and on this site, but while I see many people over the last couple years having the same problem, I don't see any solutions.

All of the sudden, last night I discovered that my white late 2009 macbook mousepad stopped reacting to taps (as right and left clicks).

The external mouse connected to the macbook operates properly

I can track all over the mousepad, including the areas which previously reacted to tap-to-click (the bottom left and right side of the mousepad)

when i double-tap the mousepad operates (as left button of the mouse)

Singe tap in any area of mousepad does not do anything

There is no feeling of a click when I press on areas which previously reacted to tapping, but for the life of me, because I have several computers, I don't remember if it supposed to click.

So I wonder if it is a mechanical or a software problem. If it was a mechanical problem, how come the tracking is fine, and double-tap works?

2. Deamos macrumors member

Amazingly enough, check the battery. I had the same issue and thought it might be an issue with the trackpad. After opening up the case and verifying that the pad was in fact, working.. I discovered that the battery had swollen up and was pressing on the pad so that the clicking would no longer work.

3. absolutic thread starter macrumors regular

have never previously opened my unibody macbook, is it easy? I don't mind doing it, if I can put it all back together :D

4. Deamos macrumors member

Easy as pie. Just turn the thing over, pull the latch, pull out the battery.

Edit: Actually I dont know if its that easy on a 2009 macbook but it's worth a look.

5. absolutic thread starter macrumors regular

It just took me 20 seconds to open the body, but the a****les put tri-wing screws on the battery! Now I need to find a tri-wing screwdriver locally; I know they are sold online everywhere on ebay and amazon, but I already opened that thing and I need a tri-wing screwdriver. Oh, Apple people, why you're making my life difficult

6. fbs1992 macrumors newbie

the battery will just pop out. you don't need to disassemble it to get it out. Once it is out you can see if it is swelling and preventing your trackpad from clicking