Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRazz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Got a buddies macbook 2009(white unibody, late 2009 model), have attempted many of the different solutions online to get it on. The awkward thing about this situation is that when I plug the correct magsafe charger into the macbook it goes from green to orange to indicate that it is charging. No matter what I have tried to get it to turn on it will not react at all to me pressing the power button, even doing a SMC reset.
Just seeing if anyone here has any ideas to chime in with.
Appreciate and thank for ideas.

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
Got a buddies macbook 2009(white unibody, late 2009 model), have attempted many of the different solutions online to get it on. The awkward thing about this situation is that when I plug the correct magsafe charger into the macbook it goes from green to orange to indicate that it is charging. No matter what I have tried to get it to turn on it will not react at all to me pressing the power button, even doing a SMC reset.
Just seeing if anyone here has any ideas to chime in with.
Appreciate and thank for ideas.

Correct me if i'm somewhat wrong, but it sounds to me like it's a fault with the battery. Have you tried removing the internal battery, to see if it will boot with just the magsafe charger attached. This method worked on a 09 unibody macbook I had recently.

TheRazz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Correct me if i'm somewhat wrong, but it sounds to me like it's a fault with the battery. Have you tried removing the internal battery, to see if it will boot with just the magsafe charger attached. This method worked on a 09 unibody macbook I had recently.
I thought that might have been the issue, yet I took it out and attempted to turn it on with just the charger in. No response. I'm not sure what other options to take with it, but it seems like a weird issue just because the magsafe charger does give some type of notification that it is charging.

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
I thought that might have been the issue, yet I took it out and attempted to turn it on with just the charger in. No response. I'm not sure what other options to take with it, but it seems like a weird issue just because the magsafe charger does give some type of notification that it is charging.

That does sound rather strange. Has the macbook been taken apart before you acquired it? Have you checked that the ribbon cable that connects the topcase to the logic board is connected properly, because if it's loose, this itself will stop the macbook from booting. As your macbook seems to charge up, this would usually point towards either the topcase connection to the logic board, or a faulty topcase. To be sure you can use an insulated screwdriver and short the pins on the topcase logic board socket, with the topcase completely removed from the mac. This under normal circumstances would cause the mac to boot, and you should see some life out of your macbook.

TheRazz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
That does sound rather strange. Has the macbook been taken apart before you acquired it? Have you checked that the ribbon cable that connects the topcase to the logic board is connected properly, because if it's loose, this itself will stop the macbook from booting. As your macbook seems to charge up, this would usually point towards either the topcase connection to the logic board, or a faulty topcase. To be sure you can use an insulated screwdriver and short the pins on the topcase logic board socket, with the topcase completely removed from the mac. This under normal circumstances would cause the mac to boot, and you should see some life out of your macbook.
Funny thing is it was exactly what you had mentioned. Last night I had looked through the macbook myself and noticed the cable loose and placed it back in correctly. Bam, back to life. I definitely appreciate the advice.

Isaiah56man

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2015
A Place
Funny thing is it was exactly what you had mentioned. Last night I had looked through the macbook myself and noticed the cable loose and placed it back in correctly. Bam, back to life. I definitely appreciate the advice.
[doublepost=1468871540][/doublepost]What cable was lose I'm having the same problem.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.