Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waynechriss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
I bought the macbook in summer 2009 right before the refresh, so i have the one without the glass trackpad, improved ram and hard drive. My macbook only has 2GB ram and 160GB of hard drive and it needs a serious upgrade if i want to continue editing HD video and working with adobe illustrator and whatnot.

I hear stories of people upgrading their macbook and they won't boot up and stuff like that, i have no experience in upgrading computers. What's the best way to approach ram/hard drive upgrade on a macbook? Please and thank u.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Honestly, I was never good much with upgrading anything I own, let alone a computer!

Truth be told though, I decided I would upgrade the RAM and HD in my Macbook(late 09). It was very easy, infact, very very easy. I took the screws out, the RAM just pops out....just seat your new RAM firmly. As for the HD, I watched a video on youtube from Crucial I believe, I followed that and in about 10 min I had my new HD in! So give it a whirl, if anything put it all back together and get it done at a parts store or apple store!

waynechriss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
Honestly, I was never good much with upgrading anything I own, let alone a computer!

Truth be told though, I decided I would upgrade the RAM and HD in my Macbook(late 09). It was very easy, infact, very very easy. I took the screws out, the RAM just pops out....just seat your new RAM firmly. As for the HD, I watched a video on youtube from Crucial I believe, I followed that and in about 10 min I had my new HD in! So give it a whirl, if anything put it all back together and get it done at a parts store or apple store!

Oh that's reassuring. Where did you get your RAM from?

Covart

Aug 15, 2010
Europe
I bought the macbook in summer 2009 right before the refresh, so i have the one without the glass trackpad, improved ram and hard drive. My macbook only has 2GB ram and 160GB of hard drive and it needs a serious upgrade if i want to continue editing HD video and working with adobe illustrator and whatnot.

I hear stories of people upgrading their macbook and they won't boot up and stuff like that, i have no experience in upgrading computers. What's the best way to approach ram/hard drive upgrade on a macbook? Please and thank u.

Ram is a simple job, requiring very little experience.

Change out a HDD use to be a bit more complex, but still very easy to do. I have done all of this on 4 separate laptops ranging from 2008 MacBooks to 2010 MBP's. There are all simple.

Fast/Furious

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
Vancouver, BC
DIY. Much cheaper and it's satisfying doing it yourself.. plus picking your own parts is good too :) http://www.ifixit.com/Browse/MacBook should have everything you need to know, the tutorials are amazing and there are pictures for every step.

RAM upgrades on a MacBook are insanely easy, while HDD's are a bit harder but it's not impossible for the average user.

waynechriss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
DIY. Much cheaper and it's satisfying doing it yourself.. plus picking your own parts is good too :) http://www.ifixit.com/Browse/MacBook should have everything you need to know, the tutorials are amazing and there are pictures for every step.

RAM upgrades on a MacBook are insanely easy, while HDD's are a bit harder but it's not impossible for the average user.

Ok i'll prob look up some tutorials on replacing the HDD but thanks for the link i'll look into it! :3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.