Macbook 2009 stopped powering on

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by seanwj, Feb 10, 2015.

1. seanwj macrumors newbie

Hello and thanks for taking the time to help me out.

I have a Macbook, late 2009 model. 2.26 ghz, 8GB ram.

Recently my battery was in critical stage and I had been using a power adapter from apple to keep it running. One day the charger I was using would only show a dim green light and stopped charging. This charger was a higher wattage than the one that was made for my computer but I read that it would still be safe to use, it also continued to work on my roommates computer but even still, I decided to purchase a new one.

The new one I bought was made for my computer, so it had the correct wattage, and when I received it and plugged it in, my laptop powered up and I was able to use it throughout the night. When I went to sleep I put it into sleep mode, yet when I awoke the next morning, the charger light was off and the laptop would not turn on.

When I plugged the charger into my other roommates computer (Same model as mine) the light immediately went on and started charging his battery, so I surmised that it wasn't the charger that was having an issue, maybe it was my battery.

I went on eBay and purchased a new battery (new, but old, as its a 2009 laptop) and installed it into my laptop. This did nothing for my issue.

The only change was that when I would plug in the charger I had recently bought, the light wouldn't come on at first though after an hour, it would turn on and stay on, bright green, yet I was still unable to turn on my computer. Once I unplugged the cable and plugged it back in, the light would stay off for another hour, than come back on and do nothing.

I took out my HD because I needed the information on it and installed it into an external enclosure and was able to pull out my files and put them onto another external, just as a precaution.

To summarize: I am not really sure what the issue is. At first it seemed like the battery since that was in critical condition. Then it seemed to be the chargers. I have replaced both battery and charger and still nothing. I also don't understand why my computer worked for one night and then stopped entirely.

Any help would be appreciated!

Also, the computer hasn't suffered any falls or water damage.

2. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Hi,

Theoretically this Might also be a software issue - before moving on, try resetting the PRAM. (Google it)

If that does not fix the issue, considering that the charger and battery must be assumed to be operable, the only hardware items are either the logic board, or the so called MagSafe-board.

RGDS,