Macbook (2010) can it take a 6Gb/s SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TheCaptain95, Oct 15, 2012.

1. TheCaptain95 macrumors newbie

I'm looking at Crucial 256gb 6gb/s 2.5inch ssd or Vertex V4 6Gb/s 256 SSD. Or will a 2010 Macbook only take a 3Gb/s SSD?

2. lazydesi macrumors 6502

Link Speed: 3 Gigabit
    Negotiated Link Speed: 3 Gigabit

so, it uses only 3Gb/s

3. mwhities macrumors 6502a

It'll take either but, only negotiate at 3gb/s.

4. buklau macrumors newbie

6Gb/s and 3Gb/s should be backward compatible. Your Macbook will tap out at around 3Gb/s = 384 MB/s, which would still be a significant upgrade over a traditional HDD.

5. TheCaptain95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a million bro. Im new to all this and this was one of those things i couldnt get my headaround :p thanks a million

6. Fed macrumors 6502

Could you let me know how you find this set-up.

My other half's laptop (same as yours) is running awfully slow at the minute. I'm going to reformat it tonight and see how it fairs. As she doesn't like any of the MacBooks at the minute (doesn't like the aluminium), I reckon I'll just chuck an SSD into it to speed things up. It'd be interest to see how yours works out.

7. TheCaptain95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a million. Because im new to all this stuff, its a little confusing an d daunting :p thanks a million that helps a lot

----------

No problemo ;)

8. soapsudz macrumors member

Bringing up an old thread :)

There's a weird problem with some SSDs on the mid-2010 Macbook and any other computers that use the Nvidia MCP89 SATA controller: the SSD defaults to the slowest speed instead of the fastest available. Maybe it's a problem between the onboard controller and some Sandforce drive controllers.

My SATA-3 Kingston drive can go up to 6 Gb/s but it sometimes gets stuck at 1.5 Gb/s. On powering up from cold it gets 3 Gb/s but it always get stuck at 1.5 Gb/s after waking from hibernation. I get this problem with the SSD in the main bay and in an adapter in the optical drive bay.

Check out the System Profiler readout: