Macbook 2010 freezing in e-mail message retrieval

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sdw, Jun 18, 2010.

1. sdw macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I am a newbie to the Mac World. After a horrible virus on my PC that no one could remove without a new hard drive, I decided to leave the PC world behind. I just purchased a new MacBook and intend to purchase an iMac when the model is refreshed. I just received my MacBook yesterday.

I am having problem opening up my e-mail messages at times. The problem is intermittent, so I can not figure out what is the cause. Has anyone had this problem? I can't click on it to open it up or use the "return" key to open it either. Several minutes later I can try again and it will open. My sister who owns all kinds of Apple products says she has never seen the problem. She was at my home today and could access her e-mail on her iPad easily on the same Airport Extreme connection. However, she could not open my e-mails through my Comcast e-mail site at the same time frame.

Do you think this is a Comcast issue with their e-mail, connection issue with the MacBook, or a MacBook issue? I called Apple and they said it was most likely a connection issue. I am not sure why since my sister could access her mail through her iPad. Thoughts anyone??? Thanks in advance for any input!

2. johnnyham macrumors regular

Clarify please... are you talking about opening the Mail application itself from the dock/Finder, or are you talking about checking email from within the Mail application?

If you can open it but are having difficulty receiving email, your settings may be incorrect. You can try these settings, although they are for OS X 10.5, so they may be outdated.

If you can't open the application itself, then it's a system issue, in which case more diagnosing and fixing would have to follow.

Let us know which it is and hopefully somebody here can help you out.