Macbook 2010 - Is now the right time ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Superman041, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Superman041 macrumors regular

I have a white Macbook Unibody 2010 , and i'm wondering how long these laptops normally last ? Providing it's in good condition etc. Ideally I want the Retina Macbook Pro, but it's a bit too pricey for me and i'm not sure if Apple will release a new version of the Pro/Air soon.

Your opinions would be appreciated.

Battery Health : 77%
    Battery Charge Cycles: 794

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

It depends on your usage. I still use a 2009 MBP daily for many tasks and while it is a bit slow sometime, it works.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Apple just release a new version of the Air at WWDC this month. Expect new MacBooks with Mavericks in the Fall.
    As for when is the right time to upgrade? When your machine no longer does what you need it to or does it so slowly that you can't stand using it and you can afford something better.

4. Lolito macrumors 6502

Lolito

If you are working without a SSD right now, I would install one and it will last you a couple more years at least.

5. errol macrumors 6502

errol

If the CPU is meeting your needs, I would also echo the idea of installing a SSD and maxing out the RAM. Also, you can remove your optical drive if you don't use it. Should breathe some new life into your computer.

6. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

I would say.....

a well cared computer must last 5 years at minimum. Laptops can be trickier, my estimate being 3-5 years. Always take in account OS updates or app udates that can turn a computer obsolete, not matter how well are working. With the right upgrades (if possible) as SSD, bigger HDD or more RAM, you can get better time using your computer. Right now, seems to me the battery life of your computer can be of concern. But no in the stage of being in a rush or panic mode. Not idea how much $$ a battery for your particular laptop can cost....:confused:

:):apple:

7. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

I second that! An SSD will make your MacBook seem brand new.

8. Superman041 thread starter macrumors regular

Is it worth purchasing an SSD for the price ? How much on average are they ?