MacBook 2011 Logic Board Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Airbum88, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Airbum88 macrumors newbie

I am posting here instead of posting in Apple's official forums because they've been deleting my posts. Anyway long story short, I have a late-2011 MBP 15". Last week, all of the sudden, my computer crashes and has been unable to boot up at all. I did a lot of reading online and found out there were a lot of users that had problems with their GPU, which required replacing the logic board. The costs for these repairs run from 500 to more than 1000 dollars.

When I took my Macbook to the Genius Bar, guess what they said the problem with my computer was? GPU! In fact, when the Genius went to the back to the manager, I spoke with the lady beside me who also had a Macbook. She also had a GPU problem and so did this teenager two seats down from her. I was handed a repair quote of $575, which I did not accept and left with my broken Macbook. These problems have been a very common problem and I feel Apple hasn't taken the appropriate measures in dealing with this issue.

If you look at Apple's official forums, there are over 200 pages dealing with this issue. And, this is only a fraction of the threads that deal with this problem.

I think if anybody that has this problem and wants to make their voices heard, they should send an e-mail to Tim Cook at tcook@apple.com. With every letter, our voices grow ever louder and it really requires a group effort. To make it easier for everybody, I already wrote a template for the letter if anybody wants it. Just message me. I already did the hard part. All you have to do is fill in the brackets with simple information like your name, date, and case number. And, if you wish to modify it to personalize it to your own situation, feel free to do that.

Don't get me wrong. I love using Apple products and I still hope Apple finds an appropriate solution in helping us deal with these problems. I just feel that we need to make Apple aware of these issues and that they are serious enough that they cannot afford to ignore them.

2. korsakov.ru macrumors newbie

+1

I'm experiencing the same problem on my MacBook Pro early 2011 for about a month now... So my laptop lasted for 2 years only. Warranty is finished already.

Blue screen on boot, grey screen on boot.... Or glitches and freezes if i can boot. The problem is GPU chip.

I believe strongly Apple should take notice since hundreds if not thousands people experiencing this problem as to multiple threads on Apple forums.

And run a callback programme to replace chips/logic boards for free.
    I find it's unaccaptable for a piece of expensive machinery for more than $2000 last only two years and brake without any damage from outside.
    It's obviously drops standards of quality in my eyes. I really love Apple gadgets and hope Apple will do something about it.

3. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

first it was the 2008 and then the 2010 and now the 2011. Plus i have seen a few on the retinas with gpu issues. Do let us know if your issue gets resolved.

4. Redsand187 macrumors member

Inquire about the flat rate repair program. It will be less then the gpu replacement and they refurbish the entire machine.

5. jeanga macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I'm having similar issues, I think...
    Basically, about a month ago, my MBP stopped charging, there was a definite issue with the power management and when I checked online, most of the forums were mentioning one of the possible issue being with the Logic Board.

When I consulted the genius bar, they did a series of tests and concluded that there was no issue with the MBP (I think they were looking for power management issues).

This morning, my MBP (purchased late September 2011) will not turn on at all... when I plug in the power adapter, there's no light on the power chord and it won't make a noise...

Do you think it would be the same thing?

I use my MBP professionally a lot and this is the worst time this could happen.
    Please let me know what you think and whether I should spend half my day going to the genius bar...

6. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Early 2011 and no problem what so ever.
    If it does happen Ive got AppleCare so it should be good.

7. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

The 2010 MBP failure rate ???

The 2010 ??? :eek::eek: Really?
    Whats wrong with the 2010? I thought it has been the most stable machine ever? What was your bad experience with a 2010 model?
    Mine is still fine, do I have to worry now?

Thanks in advance,

:apple:

8. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4088

So far all of my apple products have worked flawlessly leaving a 13" late 2011 2 times logic board one time mag safe display and super drive apple replaced it with a mid 2012. My early 2013 retina had only one display change. While i was at the service center there was a guy who had artifacts on his retina he told me it only happens when he uses the discrete gpu.
    But yeah i have a friend with a mid 2010 mbp15" she faced the kernel crashes which showed crashes were related to the gpu took a print of that knowledge base article and they replaced her logic board.

9. Airbum88, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013

Airbum88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Even with AppleCare, your warranty is only 3 years, so you're not completely protected by it. The defect might not manifest itself until after your warranty expires, so I suggest Apple address this issue immediately. The battery issue with the 1st generation iPod nanos took Apple 6 years before deciding to replace it.

Please understand (and I am addressing all customers with AppleCare) that this addressing this issue is not simply for the benefit for out-of-warranty Macbook owners. This issue also affects owners with AppleCare. 3 years is still a pretty short lifespan for a computer, especially for a Macbook, so if you want your Macbooks to last past your 3-year AppleCare coverage, I suggest you help put pressure on Apple to solve this problem, so that you wouldn't have to be stuck in the same situation as us out-of-warranty users.

----------

I have never needed to deal with Apple representatives before but when I tried talking to them on the phone or in Apple stores, they refused to listen to my claims. I can provide them with thread numbers and case numbers but they would not listen. And, I tried to remain polite the entire time (A manager even thanked me for being polite with him). I don't know if Apple repesentatives act like this before but this reluctance to listen coveys an attitude of "not caring about the customer". If Apple does not want that image of their company to be spread, it is imperative of them to address this issue as hastily as possible.

----------

If there is no light on the powerchord, I don't know if it's a problem with the MagSafe. When you say it's not turning on at it, do you mean that you crash at the gray screen with the Apple logo, or you have no power at all and it won't turn on as a result?

If you crashed at the gray screen, most likely it's a problem with the GPU, which means your logic board needs to be replaced.

Are you going to take it to the Genius Bar again to get it rediagnosed?

----------

Thanks for letting us know about the flat rate repair program. It is an option who those that live in the United States or Japan. But unfortunately, that option is not available to those of us who live outside of those countries.

But even with the flat rate repair, or any repair for that matter, it does not mean that Macbook is safe out of danger. The repairs only give a 90-warranty and there are multiple stories of people who had to replace their logic boards multiple times. This means, it's not unlikely that their computers will fail past the 90-day warranty window and thus, forcing customers to either pay more money for repairs or give up their Macbook altogether.

----------

Add 2007 on the list as well.

And although not Macbook Pro, 2011 iMacs also have GPU issues.

But if 2007,2008,2010,2011 Macbooks have GPU issues, it means 4 out of the 5 years MBP has suffered from GPU issues... This doesn't look good.

10. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Never had a single problem except my power cable.
    Honestly, I would buy a new computer after 3~4 years.
    You can actually purposely create "manufacture defect" couple of times and get it replaced for a new machine...
    though I dont really recommend doing this.

11. Airbum88 thread starter macrumors newbie

But, Apple would have to acknowledge that's a "manufacturing defect" first.

12. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

well so far all of my interaction with their representatives have been good and they have always listened to me calmly its just one service center i had bad experience with.

So are all these affected gpus nvidia? Has anyone with the ati gpus faced issues?

13. Airbum88 thread starter macrumors newbie

2011 MBPs are AMD.

The representatives that I have talked with polite in most part but that's not enough to help me.

14. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

have you tried contacting customer relations? Those guys are the most helpful and will always try to keep a customer happy.

I had to speak to them to get a replacement, i politely told them that my laptop is my work, I have used many apple products including powerbook and never had issues. She then asked me to give a last chance at repairs so i said ok but guarantee me it would not fail. Anyways it failed again 3 days after the logic board was changed i called them and spoke to the same agent (she had given me her extension) within 30 mins she calls back to say they will ship me one from singapore.

15. Airbum88 thread starter macrumors newbie

I talked to somebody but I don't think it was Customer Relations.
    Did they give you free repair or at least a discount?

16. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

actually mine was in apple care i had purchased it from hong kong apple store. I live in India and we do not have any apple stores here just resellers and AASP
    They will never replace your laptop no matter how many repairs you have. I spoke to the customer relations and they were very nice.
    They are the guys who can authorize/take the call on repairs when warranty is voided or you ran out of warranty. Speak to apple care and ask them to put you through customer relations, for a solution to your issue. With these customer relation guys being stern about your point and polite is important for good results.

Tell them after paying a lot this should not happen with 3 years of usage. Also tell them that you advise alot of folks to go in for a mac just cause they are good and last long, but this is making me to think otherwise.

17. undesign macrumors regular

Add me to the list of people with the failed 2011 logic board!

I'm worried though, once repaired, how long is the MBP going to last me then? Another 2 years? I dont want to be swapping parts at will because Apple/AMD cant produce a laptop that wont eventually die from overheating within a short period of time.

I'm not looking forward to the bill Apple is going to give me for repair costs.

This is false.

2 years ago I had a 2010 MacBook Pro with many issues, it went into repairs two or three times (dont exactly remember) and they offered me a new current laptop instead. I was pretty frustrated and by the time I got a new one, it didnt really phase me, I just wanted a computer that worked.

18. usasalazar, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013

usasalazar macrumors regular

usasalazar

Ug! Me too. Early 2011 17" MBP intel i7 512 SSD. purchased new BTO from Apple Store in June 2011.

Boot up to grey screen with light pink/blue horizontal stripes. Never gets past solid grey screen. Took it in to Genius Bar and was told its a GPU issue. I was offered a $310.00 flat fee and 4 day turnaround to get it back up and running. Seems like a bargain but still, this was a pampered machine just 2.5 yrs. old. I expected more from this "Workstation Performance" machine. My 8 yr old MacPro Quad core is still going strong. Never used my AppleCare for my tower so I never bought it for my MBP. I'm just glad I don't have to resort to baking my MBP logic board in the oven at 375 for 8 minutes to reflow the board - at least not yet.

19. undesign macrumors regular

So what do we do as a solution for the future? Should we install iStat Menus and bump up the fans minimum RPM to keep the GPU cool?

20. Doward macrumors 6502a

This is exactly what happens when a system runs too hot for too long.

Permanent fix:

Apple needs to get Foxconn to start micropolishing the heatsinks, and applying the correct amount of heatsink compound.

21. undesign macrumors regular

^But is that a permanent fix? I understand the reapplying the thermal paste PROPERLY will help reduce heat, but overtime things can still overheat. So what measures should we take? Perhaps reapply the thermal paste once idle heat temperatures rise beyond 45C? Should we always have a higher minimum fan speed at idle to keep the CPU/GPU cooler, despite extra fan noise?