Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

subaiku

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Hey guys, I have a radeongate Macbook 2011. I swapped out the SSD hard drive to another Macbook to install High Sierra on it then swapped it back into the the Macbook 2011. Then I tried starting it up again in single recovery mode wanting to try dosdude's solution:

But I keep getting the question mark folder. Have tried resetting SMC, PRAM, NVRAM, safe mode and all gets the question mark (some with a screwed up pixelated screen which I assume is because of radeongate). I have also opened up the Macbook to check that the cable is connected properly to the SSD drive and it looks ok.

Any clue what's going on?

IMG_1275.jpg

subaiku

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Could be a faulty SATA cable nonetheless. Can you boot from another internal HDD/SSD, or that same SSD in an external enclosure?
Yes, I could boot the SSD when I put it in another Macbook. So it might like what you and ShortTimer says, could be a faulty SATA cable.

Found one online on Aliexpress, it's the 821-1198-A one yes?:

Would you guys know if the Macbook 2011 13" cable is compatible with the 15"?

Reactions: TheShortTimer

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
Yes, I could boot the SSD when I put it in another Macbook. So it might like what you and ShortTimer says, could be a faulty SATA cable.

Found one online on Aliexpress, it's the 821-1198-A one yes?:

Yes, that looks like the correct one. :)

Would you guys know if the Macbook 2011 13" cable is compatible with the 15"?

I was under the impression that they used the same cable but Google search indicated otherwise. Apparently not.

Reactions: subaiku

subaiku

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 28, 2013
Yes, that looks like the correct one. :)

I was under the impression that they used the same cable but Google search indicated otherwise. Apparently not.
Ah, thanks for that, gonna put in an order for it.

Would you also know if I could put this SSD into a working Macbook and run the disable GPU steps and then put it back into the radeongate Macbook? Just thinking to get a head start on this. Or do I have to run the steps on that specific radeongate Macbook for it to work?

Reactions: TheShortTimer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.